Author Topic: Any tips for a complete amateur!  (Read 4579 times)

Weed-Digga

• Half Acre
  • Slough, BERKS
Re: Any tips for a complete amateur!
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2009, 21:58:27 »
basically I'm starting at one end, and hope I get to the other end of the plot sometime before the next millenium!

Enjoy yourself!

That did make me laugh out loud Dave!!!

It's taken us 18 months to (almost) cultivate the whole of our plot, but I think they are only half standard size!!

So what did we do when the end was so nearly in sight? Why, take on the plot next door, of course!!

Weed-Digga
If it's Rosie's allotment - how come Muggins here does so much digging?

Digitalis

• Acre
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2009, 22:20:31 »
A glutton for punishment! 2 plots!!! ;D

If I cover the plot with black bin liners, how can I secure them to the ground to stop them blowing away?

Or should I use some kind of black plastic? If so, where do I get that from?

I cannot get my hands on any spare carpet, I don't think.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2009, 08:55:53 »
Hiya, Cosmo and dibs, excuse the name, not my normal one  ;D
welcome to the mad house, I'm sure you'll fit right in.
we covered the parts of our plot with big, thick pieces of cardboard before the plastic, we used tarpaulins, copost bags, cut in half etc..we just weighed them down with bricks, bags of weeds, pieces of wood, anything we found around the site..I'm sure you can get black plastic from ebay but bin liners in a roll will probably do just as well, we marked out our paths and covered them permanently so we wouldn't walk on the beds, I thinl there's a few pics in our gallery if you want some evidence  ;D
anyway, whatever you decide, good luck,
 manicscousers

Digitalis

• Acre
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2009, 14:48:17 »
Thanks for all the input.

I am going to buy a compost bin and put in the weeds and grass that I cut down. But I've been told not to put the weed roots in it. Where do I put them? Do I have to take them to the tip?

Thanks again.

Digitalis

• Acre
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2009, 16:18:40 »
One more question......... ;D

Is a membrane sheet the same thing as a vinyl ground sheet? The membrane sheets I've seen say they let nutrients and water through to the plants......

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2009, 16:20:01 »
burn them , put them in bin liners or drown them, that way, they're useful, you can use the ash, wait 'til they turn to soil or use them as a feed  ;D

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2009, 16:20:08 »
Hi CD strim the whole lot down to grass level and cover what you don't need yet. Roughly dig your first bed and plant spuds, bag up any large stones and nasties and use these to weigh down your coverings. Dig the next bed with a bit more care and rake out the stones bagging again and plant your onions and so on, as your working look back at what you've achieved believe you me it gives you a boost, but don't do too much in one go its no use being to knackered to get back regularly. Lastly before you make too many plans find out what the site rules are regarding, bonfires, clearing rubbish, use of carpets, BBQ's, time frames to clear percentages of your plot and in my opinion no too weedkiller.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Digitalis

• Acre
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2009, 16:52:49 »
Thanks again guys! This site is great!

How will I know if my site has asbestos on it? If there is some, is it the council's responsibilty to clear it?

Digitalis

• Acre
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2009, 16:02:47 »
Just got back from looking at the available plots. I needn't have worried- the secretary has given me a plot which was only vacated two weeks ago!

It has raised beds, a shed, blackcurrant trees, a compost bin, a water butt and various veg' plants (onions as well!).

I've only got to do limited weeding at the moment!

I'll get some pics up tomorrow.

Lottie103

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2009, 16:55:59 »
Hi CD :) Sounds like you've fallen on your feet there - I was about to join the others in encouraging words for clearing a jungle! Saying that, I quite like having cleared a jungle & having pretty much a blank canvas to start with - nothing like seeing your progress in photos & words of encouragement from people at the lottie & messages here to keep the old enthusiasm up.
Enjoy  ;D

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2009, 17:02:27 »
wow aren't you lucky at least you can start running.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2009, 18:44:52 »
You must have trod in horses sh#t to get that lucky, check the shed CD there's probably 1/2 a dozen trays of spuds chitting in there.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Digitalis

• Acre
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2009, 19:12:43 »
You must have trod in horses sh#t to get that lucky, check the shed CD there's probably 1/2 a dozen trays of spuds chitting in there.  ;D ;D ;D

No spuds, alas......but I can't moan about that!

There is a few goodies knocking around the plot, including a well advanced compost bin!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2009, 19:23:40 »
Speaking of wells, be careful... they can turn up unexpectedly... underfoot...  :o

lushy86

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2009, 21:54:12 »
Hi CD,

I'm new too but I do have the jungle to clear :(. I think it must had been dog s**t I trod in!!   ;D
 We were going to use a mini digger to scrape it off which was embarassing enough now we can't get it and OH wants to take his JCB in from work - OMG   :o Good luck lets keep in touch
Make mine a large one!

Digitalis

• Acre
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2009, 16:11:19 »
I'd love to, lushy!

When are you looking to plant your first things?

lushy86

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2009, 22:06:38 »

Will know more after weekend but thinking of getting spuds in asap to help clear the weeds as the lovely folk on here have suggested - I usually grow some stuff at home in grow bags  & pots so am going to get some toms peppers herbs courgettes  etc going on window sill any way and hope I can get at least some of them going on the plot.  Problem as always is time with work,family, dogs etc!  Got some weed suppressant membrane (good value from Wickes - fiver a roll - half price) so will get that down as think I have talked OH out of the JCB! How about you?
Make mine a large one!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2009, 22:09:16 »
Welcome to you both, enjoy your lottie and keep reading A4A, thy are a smashing mad bunch but there is a lot of knowledge on here.

Save a space for squash !!

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Digitalis

• Acre
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2009, 15:03:35 »

Will know more after weekend but thinking of getting spuds in asap to help clear the weeds as the lovely folk on here have suggested - I usually grow some stuff at home in grow bags  & pots so am going to get some toms peppers herbs courgettes  etc going on window sill any way and hope I can get at least some of them going on the plot.  Problem as always is time with work,family, dogs etc!  Got some weed suppressant membrane (good value from Wickes - fiver a roll - half price) so will get that down as think I have talked OH out of the JCB! How about you?

I'm going to get my spuds in asap, and have a variety of them over the summer up to October. I've also got some tom and lettuce seedlings doing their thing at the moment, so they'll go in when ready. I've got some pea frames up already, so will get some pea seeds going asap.

Can't wait!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal