Author Topic: Templar Tiller  (Read 9710 times)

susan1

• Half Acre
Templar Tiller
« on: March 09, 2009, 19:10:43 »
I don't know if this in the right place, but hub bought one of these last year on e.bay, he managed to start it yesterday, but it stopped and wouldn't restart. it worked fine last season.

It was made in the USA he tells me in about 1966, and hes been looking to find a handbook, to adjust all the mechanical bits and pieces, (which has me totally at a loss), and the thing is could anybody on here give me an idea as to where i could find one of these handbooks for him.

thanks

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
Re: Templar Tiller
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 19:17:21 »
You only need a manual or instructions for the engine which is probably a Briggs & Stratton or an Aspera. I thought that they were made in the early 70's and made in England by Stirling Moss in Oxfordshire but may be wrong.

With the engine starting well from cold then stopping sounds like worn valve guides but could be many other causes.

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 23:21:37 »
I thought that they were made in the early 70's and made in England by Stirling Moss in Oxfordshire but may be wrong.

No, you are quite right. I used to have one. I still have the Hoe/Cultivator which I use sometimes with the Merry Tiller Major.
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

70fingers

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 20:34:36 »
Hi Susan,

I have a Templar Tiller as well!!! Had the same problem last year myself, check the engine it should have a serial number on the front or back. Then go to Briggs & Stratton website and search for the manual/parts list this is helpfull if you need to order new parts for the engine. My engine wouldnt start, and I ended up buying a new condensor/points. Changing the fuel may help, new spark plug etc. I am not an expert but they are a good engine and you can still get the parts for them!!

I will try and find the proper link for you and post back here when I do.

Hope that helps a bit, been trying to look for a new belt and some wheels but cant seem to find anything other than the engine parts.

Belt is on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TEMPLAR-TILLER-ROTOVATOR-DRIVE-BELT_W0QQitemZ370170951384QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Home_Garden_GardenPowerTools_CA?hash=item370170951384&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 20:53:14 by 70fingers »

susan1

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 20:39:23 »
thanks everyone, will show all this to hub when he comes home from work later, 70fingers, If you find a new belt let me know where you get it from cos hub mentioned that too.

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 22:12:26 »
Only the later models had the 5bhp Briggs & Stratton engine. Earlier models had a 4bhp Aspera engine, and there may have been other variants. Check the engine for the makers mark and model no.

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 23:57:23 »
If the engine starts after the machine has rested for a while, then runs and stops and won't restart, the probable cause is simply fuel starvation.

If it's been left with petrol in over the year, then the carburettor may need a clean, since the petrol will leave a gummy residue which can restrict floats and needles.

Or it may be even simpler.  Try loosening the fuel filler cap.  If it runs OK, the the breather hole in the cap may be blocked.  It may also be worth investigating whether there's rust or residue blocking the fuel tap (I'm assuming there will be such a tap just below the tank) or the fuel lines.

70fingers

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 09:43:45 »
My Templar Tiller is 3.5Bhp and I used the following for part numbers:

http://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Briggs%20&%20Stratton%20Parts%20Manuals%20IPL/80200-ms4271-0485.pdf

Hope that helps :)

susan1

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2009, 21:13:38 »
thanks all, hub got it started today, he cleaned the filter, and studied the diagrams tinkered a bit and gave the pull stater a huge yank, and hey presto worked a treat :) rotavated all the manure in to the spud bed.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal