Author Topic: Elderflower champagne  (Read 13376 times)

killerflies

• Half Acre
    • Killerflies CDC and IRISH flies
Elderflower champagne
« on: March 07, 2009, 23:34:47 »
Have great plans for making some EF Champagne this year for the first time.

I know its a bit away yet but what bottles do you recommend you keeping the champers in?

Ive been reading up on it and many recommend that you DO NOT use glass bottles (Explosions)

I see some inc River Cottage use Swing top (Grolsch type) glass bottles and some use fizzy drink (Coke) bottles.

Whats the general concensus??

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
Re: Elderflower champagne
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 15:50:25 »
Just had an e-mail from friends who brewed and a bottle has just exploded with spectacular efferc.  They're calling it the WMD brew.  Appearantly it also goves spectacular wind!
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

helenmcg

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 15:44:46 »
hi,
we just use the 2ltr plastic bottles that fizzy pop comes in , never had an explosion.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 16:08:07 »
hi,
we just use the 2ltr plastic bottles that fizzy pop comes in , never had an explosion.

Mum used to make it in the old type of screw top cider bottles (where the top screws in rather than around the neck). Regular explosions meant the bottles were kept in an old bath in a shed to minimise the shrapnel damage. Think it was a Good Housekeeping recipe.

I'd be interested to know your recipe helenmcg, we don't have a spare shed with an old bath in it  :)

PS EFC is very good with Pimms....

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 21:00:01 »
What is the flavor like?  Might just harvest the flowers and forget about making the berry wine this year if you recommend it highly.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 21:44:37 »
I still have 4 litres from last summer in the cellar... yes, empty plastic pop bottles are the way to go!

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 10:13:32 »
What is the flavor like?  Might just harvest the flowers and forget about making the berry wine this year if you recommend it highly.

It tastes of summer...

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 11:07:42 »
It tastes light flowery and if you have ever tasted elderflower cordial similar to that but much nicer!

I made loads of elderflower wine in the past and used to drink it with lemonade as a mixer as the wine itself was pretty potent!  It was a delicious mix and I will probably make a few gallons this year if the flowers are good again.  The champagne seems a bit like hard work to me!

Old Bird

;D

tonyw

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 11:28:05 »
i found the river cottage recipe a doddle. i brewed it for the first time last year and it was lovely! a bit sweet but lovely flavor.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2009, 12:22:59 »
i found the river cottage recipe a doddle. i brewed it for the first time last year and it was lovely! a bit sweet but lovely flavor.

Will you try it again but decrease the sugar?
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

helenmcg

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2009, 13:03:15 »
Hi,
its very easy, and i love it, with some white wine, like spritzer. unfortunatley i wont be drinking it at all any this year as i am preggers.
it goes a bit like this, please bear in mind i am a slapdash sort.

12 elderflower heads, dont wash them, and harvest on a dry day
1kg of sugar dissolved in some of the water taken from   
10 litres of water
juice of 4 lemons, and i normally chuck the lemon shells in too.
4 tablespoons of white wine vinegar, i have also used cider, or plain white distilled variety, there is no difference.

stick it all in big plastic container leave for 3 days, covered, stir it when you feel like it. then strain through muslin into bottles, leave somewhere dark and cool for two weeks.
yumzo!

killerflies

• Half Acre
    • Killerflies CDC and IRISH flies
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2009, 15:39:32 »
Thanks all!

Glad I asked re: the bottles. I have a few IKEA swing tops but the blasted things are most definatly NOT leak proof, never mind pressure proof.

Im not a Coke/7up drinker, but I suppose that will have to change over the next few weeks/months.

Ill be using the River Cottage recipie for simplicity, but in fairness the reciepes Ive seen dont vary massively.

Here are 2 sources of recepies...........

RIVER COTTAGE:
http://www.channel4.com/food/recipes/chefs/hugh-fearnley-whittingstall/elderflower-champagne-recipe_p_1.html

BBC:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A593363

Before I go, how long will it keep? Id be very interested to know, as someone that is dying to get their hands on it wont be home for a few months after its made and Ive been promising them a taste. The BBC link above says it can be kept >2yrs, but what are your experiences??

PS Postage is NOT an option to get them some.

Thanks again!

Teen

• Not So New ...
    • Tina's Plot
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2009, 22:02:39 »
I've actually asked a similar question on other forums about reusing old wine bottles and they said the only reason a bottle would explode is if you pour in the liquid before its finished fermenting.  The fermenting creates all the gas to make the explosion.  So as long as your sure its stopped fermenting you'll be ok.

I'm no expert never done home brew in my life.  Just what answers I've received.
Teen

ipt8

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2009, 13:13:13 »
Just wondered when you use elderflower heads do you try and remove all the green parts or just use them whole stems and flowers and all?

Twoflower

• Hectare
  • Three girls and a cat!!!
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2009, 15:02:22 »
I just dunk the whole head in, trying to lose as many insects, Doesn't look good with dead beetles!!! ;D

STEVEB

• Acre
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2009, 20:41:49 »

Contributed by Tom Keys, Dudley WC

Ingredients
3 lb Ripe Elderberries,
1 lb Sultanas (1/2 pt Red Grape Conc.),
1 kg Sugar,
Acid Blend "A"(3-T,2-C,1-M),
Lalvin RC-212 yeast,
Nutrient,
Pectic Enzyme

Method 1--HOT
Rinse berries in colander under running cold water, place berries in saucepan crush with potato masher add 2 pints water apply heat bring just up to boil.
Remove from heat, strain liquor into bucket containing 2 kg sugar, return pulp to saucepan repeat, adding to bucket, repeat again return pulp for 3rd time , discarding pulp after 3rd boil and strain.
Allow to cool, in meantime wash and mince sultanas, adding with rest of ingredients top up to 1 gall. in bucket for 5 days stirring daily.
Strain off into demijohn under airlock, ferment out to dryness rack & stabilise as normal.

Method 2 ---COLD
Having rinsed berries, add to bucket, crushing as you go, add 1 crushed campden cover for 24 hrs.
Wash & mince sultanas, add 1 1/2 lb sugar, 2 tsp acid blend, 1 sachet Lalvin RC-212 yeast, ,1 tsp Nutrient, Pectic Enzyme.
Keep temperature around 65-70%F--check O.G. aim for 1.065-1.080 to start.
Record everything you do, keep in bucket 5 days stirring at least twice daily to push/immerse cap, otherwise keep closely covered.
On 5th day, strain off thru' sieve/muslin, check gravity around 1.010 or less, add 2 oz sugar having initially only filled D/J to shoulder, keeping rest in bottle plugged with cotton wool
When vigorous ferment dies down, top up to neck from bottle and 2 oz sugar, ensuring dissolved.
Rack off when heavy sediment forms, add 2 oz sugar and top up from bottle, when remaining sugar used up by feeding, allow to ferment to dryness 0.996 or lower. Rack off sediment and stabilise with sulphite and Sorbate.
If bottling fill from top of D/J marking last bottle out, and drinking that first, as any "surviving" yeast spores will be at the bottom !!====Cheers !!

If it ain't broke don't fix it !!

greenfists

• Half Acre
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2009, 20:17:28 »
i made the river cottage one last year and used the 500ml size pop bottles.
I actually bought the cheapest  multi pack of cola I could find and forced the kids to drink it.
It worked really well, the recipe that is, not the filling the kids with aspartame.
It was lovely and quite sweet but I have a sweet tooth so I loved it.
If you haven't got green fingers then use your fists.

MrBean

• Not So New ...
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2009, 21:26:53 »
Quote from: Teen
The fermenting creates all the gas to make the explosion.  So as long as your sure its stopped fermenting you'll be ok.

I'm no expert never done home brew in my life.  Just what answers I've received.

If it's stopped fermenting, it won't be making CO2 that makes it fizzy.

The name gives a clue, use your old champagne bottles.  8)

GlentoranMark

• Half Acre
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2009, 17:17:43 »
Is there any alcohol in this brew?

I'd love to make it but I'd prefer a kick to it  ;D

BockingBill

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2009, 09:02:53 »
Is there any alcohol in this brew?

I'd love to make it but I'd prefer a kick to it  ;D

Well the River Cottage recipe reckoned not but when we shared the first 500ml bottle we decided it was best not to drive for a while.  :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal