Author Topic: Proud tenant of plot 11 !!!  (Read 4226 times)

GardnerJ

• Acre
  • Oh my God I have Allot-Mania!
Proud tenant of plot 11 !!!
« on: September 06, 2004, 11:36:31 »
I did it!
I am the proud tenant of plot number 11 on the glebe side of my allotment!
It is overgrown and scary but an old boy said he will clear it for me and rotivate it as well! It is in a quiet place in a nice area of the allotment so i am very very pleased and i got 10 poles aswell which is a bouns because they wanted me to start with 5, i know that i want all 10 cause i am greedy and i have such wonderful plans for my very own piece of land!

Sarah-b

• Acre
Re:Proud tenant of plot 11 !!!
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2004, 13:02:50 »
Well done to you!
You must be very excited - and it's a great time of year to start work on it. You've got the whole of the winter to get a head start on all those weeds.

I had a look at your profile - and you're sort of in the same area as me (I'm up near Amersham). But I bet you've got lovely fertile soil down there near the Thames?

Good luck!
Sarah.

GardnerJ

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2004, 15:32:09 »
the soil is clay around windsor but at the lottie it was a pig farm so soil is nice! bit of clay underneath but far down i have been told!
I am going down there tonight for another look at my land! The weeds are daunting but i will have help!

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2004, 15:45:18 »
Can I humbly suggest you have a careful look at your weeds before you have the site rotavated.

If you have any bindweed, couch grass, docks, do not use a rotavator. This will chop up the roots and increase the weed problem rather than reduce it.

I took on a weed infested site in the spring, plenty of bidweed/couch. I have dug half the plot by hand so far and removed bags of the roots let along top growth. Very little has come back over the summer so careful hand digging in this situation has worked a treat.

Having said that, congrats and hope you find it as rewarding as I do.

Jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

Pixie

• Acre
  • Chorlton the magical happiness dragon
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2004, 16:47:57 »
Good Luck Jem  ;D Well done

It is really daunting isn't it when you look at it all and think 'where do I start' but it sounds like they are really nice at you lottie site. How many lotties are there? at least you will have help. Send us pics soon.

I still haven't seen any of my lottie neighbours - seen one of the sons and checked I have got the right lottie before I start weedoling it - but no lottie neighbours seems like it will be a bit lonely. :-\

Sam

"Jump in, we'll take you for a spin, and show you round the Wheelie World..."

GardnerJ

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2004, 17:44:20 »
pictures good idea im going down there with the mother in law tonight so i will take a photo for you! i'll post it on to this topic. There are always old boys at the allotment on thursday and sunday cause thats when t he trading shed is open! one old boy was drinking whiskey at 9:30am on sunday morning! thats why they all go in there it's not just seeds they have in there! ther are all really sweet and pleased a youngun is on the lottie and interested in something like them, i think it bridges the gap between the young and old in a nice way by having something in common. i can get on with anyone though ;D
i need to go down t here on thursday (i have a glorsious day off work!) to chat up the bloke that said he would start my plot off for me! i am a bit of a pain and like things to be done pretty quickly! and i a mvery impatient!
i will keep you posted! sorry for rambling! Jem x

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2004, 20:59:53 »
Well done Jemm I'm very pleased for you and a touch envious as I am still waiting to hear from our Lotiie secretary after phoning him twice in a week. ::)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal