Author Topic: thoughts for next year  (Read 4238 times)

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
thoughts for next year
« on: September 06, 2004, 11:05:33 »
Well, have had a few thoughts for next year - main one is that it takes time to set up the polls. I didn't really realise the number of entries we would have, and the number of competitions. The more the better though as we like looking at people's successes and the range of vegetables/fruit/flowers we grow.  ;D

Maybe we should have a show at the end of each season. Winter show - I am not up on flowers for this season, but vegetable categories could include lettuce, brussels, cabbage, cauli, broccoli, leeks, etc. Spring - daffodils, crocus, the remaining brassicas & leeks, cacti, etc, summer - well, beans and peas and onions, lots of flowers, etc, autumn - potatoes, pumpkins, apples....

WHen I went to Shrewsbury flower show, they had even wines and jams and things - unfortunately, I don't think we can do the wine thing on here  ::)
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

Admin aka Dan

• Administrator
  • Hectare
    • Allotments 4 All
Re:thoughts for next year
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2004, 11:18:17 »
I know how we could do the wine ...

All send me a bottle, and I'll decide  ;D

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2004, 11:31:57 »
I was thinking a show for each season would be good. Also can we have longer to take and post the photos, so those of us who don't have digital cameras can play too.

How about a month to take and post photos? pretty please.
gone to pot :D

Multiveg

• Hectare
    • Forum
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2004, 11:38:45 »
Wonder if Dan would like homemade beer as well! And how about mead? .....Either that, or we get together and have a tasting!!!! Probably, though, by the end of that, judgment might be impaired?  :o
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

Multiveg

• Hectare
    • Forum
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2004, 12:21:14 »
Re: seasons. I would like to formally suggest, in the context of the show, Autumn would be the months of September, October and November. Any pictures of flower & produce for the Autumn show can be taken within this period. The Autumn Show pictures should be posted by the 10th December, and voting to be completed by 17th December (I may be away at my folks just before Christmas with or without a computer)
Winter - December, January & February. The show and voting would be in mid March
Spring - March, April & May - show mid June,
Sumemr - June, July & August - show mid September.
Over the next couple of weeks, or so, I will draw up a list of classes  ( I will need help for the flowers), and suggestions on show rules. It would be informative if people could, when posting an entry, state the variety, and perhaps, divulge the secrets of their growing success (eg. as cloche, heat, compost, watering, fertilisers)!
Any comments and other ideas on this are welcome.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2004, 12:46:10 »
Fantastic idea MV!

Can I suggest that all veggie entrants have something included to show scale. (eg a coin, tap measure)

Multiveg

• Hectare
    • Forum
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2004, 13:51:38 »
Have started on the classes - googled for autumn show details - we could go really big going for colours of roses, etc. Have got up to 50 without going too overboard. And that is just the flowers!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2004, 13:51:58 by Multiveg »

Plocket

• Hectare
  • Clematis Crystal Fountain
    • Plocket's Clematis Site
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2004, 09:48:45 »
Just a suggestion - how about having the flower show and the veggie show separate? Personally I would be more interested in entering the flower show, and if you already have so many categories it might be better to keep the food and flowers separate.
The tree which moves some to tears of joy is in the eyes of others only a green thing which stands in the way... (William Blake)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2004, 10:24:49 »
Will there be a class for aquilegias in the spring one?

(you're doing a grand job MV)

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2004, 12:07:49 »
I think Plockett's idea for separate shows is a good one, that way those that do not grow any (or only a few) vegis wont feel left out of the vegi show and vice versa.  Also it will make Multi's (or whoever organises the polls) job alot easier and less time consuming.  I for one, did not like to put on too many flower photos as it was initially a  vegi show.

Pat
Happy gardening all...........Pat

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2004, 18:18:44 »
It was great seeing the flowers Pat.  They were all stunning and they are your produce, just because you might not pour gravy over them and eat them with your Sunday roast, (well, you never know  :o) you grew them and looked after them, in the same way we veggie growers look after our veggies.

So, do we have a competition?  As September is now underway I have started taking some pics so I am all prepared this time.

Multiveg

• Hectare
    • Forum
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2004, 18:52:49 »
Well, a quick go at flowers for autumn show yields 54 classes. This is in no way comprehensive as I have found details on the net for flower classes for specific colours of roses and other flowers.
It makes no real difference to me whether the veg is separate from the flowers . I was thinking of having specific shows as well - such as a Rose show, or bulb shows.

Going out now, and will add more thoughts later....

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2004, 10:33:11 »
My thoughts for next year are to keep it simple. Seeing how much time and work Multiveg put in this time with the polls (fantastic job btw) I would like to suggest the following:

Once a year, in September, we have an exhibition only.
Pretty much like what we did this time but no polls. I like the suggestion of giving info about the product, like type, growing conditions, dates etc. and no chatting in between the pictures.

I really did enjoy seeing the pictures of everyones products and posting my own in the different categories whithout having to weed through lots of talk and be distracted.

So, I suggest an exhibition say from 1 through 15 September each year so we can all show off and enjoy each other's achievements.

Shall we vote on how to do it next time? (weed through the suggestions and make a poll?)

« Last Edit: September 15, 2004, 10:34:56 by ina »

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2004, 19:31:03 »
I think the work that Mutiveg did was beyond the call of duty It must have took a great deal of time and energy..I can't begin to imagine how many hours it must have taken to organise all the polls
Never mind sorting and posting all results
Just To go through the entries, to cast a vote on them took me a good hour or more,,
So if you want a competition or show, run on similar lines to a show,
Why not get 3 or 5 volunteer members who will not be able to show, to judge the produce on a 1 2 3 basis as in first second and third.
They could then send their votes  by personal message to Multiveg  to  add them up and publish them etc. Just a suggestion ..Jim
Cheers .. Jim

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2004, 18:26:07 »
I really enjoyed this year's A4A Show - even competing was fun and that's a new one for me!  But have to say I think the novelty would wear off if we had Shows 3 or 4 times a year- would need to be lots of people entering and voting to keep the interest up I think.

Don't want to be a party pooper and am happy to go along with whatever is decided - but just airing my own viewpoint.  Nothing but admiration for all the hard work in polling and judging of course.
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2004, 21:11:58 »
How about a sunflower competition,tallest and biggest head? Also Pumpkin competition?Circumference and weight?
The polls were exciting and interesting this year and thoroughly enjoyed it.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal