Author Topic: anyone got spuds in yet  (Read 7273 times)

terrier

• Acre
  • North Wales
Re: anyone got spuds in yet
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2009, 21:50:27 »
Still can't decide. I was going to put my earlies in next week but we get one warm day and then it goes cold again. The ground has warmed up slightly, so as long as the weather stays fair, I'll go with next week and cover them up with clotches. After saying that, it sounds like a Siberian winter outside at the moment! I keep checking the greenhouse to see if it's been blown away  :o

SPUDLY

• Acre
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2009, 14:02:31 »
Brought my seed tats on friday, put them in the shed, hopefully going to get them in the ground towards the end of the month. Weather is quite changeable here in cambridgeshire at the moment, lovely and sunny one minute ,cold and wet the next

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2009, 14:27:24 »
We have just had a bit of sleet/snow this afternoon.  I hope to get my earlies in next weekend.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2009, 14:56:13 »
I put a line  of rocket in today, the winds picked up so I called it a day and now its chucking it down.  :'(     ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

spudsmummy

• Half Acre
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2009, 19:12:07 »
hi there
i put 2 rows of firsts into day, cant remember what they are call, my dad gave them to me lol  :D
6.5 rod plot in southampton, just me and my 2yr old son, hehe       

KathrynH

• Acre
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2009, 19:16:16 »
I planted 3 rows of Lady Christl today. Felt on a bit of a roll after that so in went 3 rows of Jet Set onions and 2 rows of parsnips. Then I weeded the overwintering onions and gave them a feed and then did the same to the broad beans. Then I realised how much I needed to sit down and have a cup of tea!

Philbasford

• Acre
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2009, 22:53:06 »
I could never keep my girls at the allotment, i absolutely love having them around all day, coming uop to the back door and wondering in the kitchen, having cuddles and generally keeping an eye on them

I would get so worried if i was away from them and not able to check on them when the was a unusual noise or squark.

To leave them for a number of days as someone has said on this would be unthinkable

It really  isnt the same having them on the allotment then it is havng them at home..

See what your landlady sas, its a world of difference having them at home,they become such close and loving pets!

Flunky

• Acre
  • In Sunny Narfook.
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2009, 10:31:46 »
I could never keep my girls at the allotment, i absolutely love having them around all day, coming uop to the back door and wondering in the kitchen, having cuddles and generally keeping an eye on them

I would get so worried if i was away from them and not able to check on them when the was a unusual noise or squark.

To leave them for a number of days as someone has said on this would be unthinkable

It really  isnt the same having them on the allotment then it is havng them at home..

See what your landlady sas, its a world of difference having them at home,they become such close and loving pets!

WOW ! your spuds come to your door. Jeez. Its all I could do to get them in the ground. LOL.

Philbasford

• Acre
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2009, 11:01:28 »
oops that was posted on the wrong page!!, dont know how it happened lol :o

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2009, 13:05:08 »
It's been so cold in the garage my earlies have only just started chitting. Have moved some to the GH (under fleece) to see if that improves matters.

Planned to plant next w.e. (a week later than last year) but may have to leave it a bit longer.

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2009, 13:05:40 »
Yes I was beginning to to think that all this vegetable growing is getting way too profound for me too Flunky after reading Philbasfords post :'(

Duke :P
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

foresterone

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2009, 13:06:24 »
Planted a row of nicely chitted "rocket" this a.m. also some broad bean seeds on some pre cloched ground . I used glass tent cloches  which had blown down in the wind! but the soil seemed warm

THE MASTER

• Half Acre
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2009, 02:39:56 »
cant wait to get me spuds in
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K9rVRuehGU

the plot is ready and waiting the soil is loose and fertile but still to wet . frost im not worried about but im waiting for an ave of over 5°C at night

so this week im goona work the soil some more put in more horse poo ((well rotted) from last year)and add some ferti  then turn it all over again to improve drainage then put me spuds in
 ;D
HE WHO DARES WINS !!!

Busy Bee

• Quarter Acre
  • Bexhill On Sea East Sussex
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2009, 09:53:50 »
Hoping to get mine in late next week. Been held up a week by being ill. Sods law now the weather is better.  ???

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2009, 16:05:47 »
I stuck my 2nd line of rocket in after work today.   ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

lightyears

• Quarter Acre
    • Holmesphotographic
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2009, 16:07:25 »
had my earlies in since 28th feb, under fleece to keep the ground warm. Been hardly any frost in norwich since the big snow!

zigzig

• Acre
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2009, 04:58:44 »
She got some little pink skinned potatoes from the supermarket for 30p, reduced. They were sprouting so I said they were not fit to eat, So all 18 have been planted instead. They are Scottish so I assume they are used to being cold.

Not lost much if they fail.

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2009, 15:50:52 »
Put a short row of Lady C in on March 1st (about a week later than usual!). The rest, plus a short row of Sharpe's Express, went in this afternoon, thanks to some help from a class of six-year-olds from the local school. (Who now can't wait till June, when they want to come back and help me dig them up!)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2009, 16:06:01 »
just planted some of our desiree that were sprouting, in planters, worth a go  ;D

stevieturnip

• Not So New ...
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2009, 17:40:42 »
I'm putting in my first earlies tomorrow (Arran pilot).  They have sprouted so well it seems cruel to keep in the outside loo for much longer. I'll cover over the plot with fleece to try to keep them nice and warm as even though Bristol is meant to be mild, the plot is quite clayey.  Finger crossed.

I'm hoping to put in my second earlies next weekend too (Maris Peer).

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal