Author Topic: Compost/Growbags - best buys?  (Read 19844 times)

robinaber

• Quarter Acre
  • Aberporth, near Cardigan, West Wales
Compost/Growbags - best buys?
« on: March 04, 2009, 13:27:51 »
Looking for recommendations for compost and Growbags please.

Aldi are selling organic growbags at the moment (£1.19 each), also multi-purpose compost. Any thoughts on this bearing in mind that the cheapest is not always the best of course! Will hopefully have enough of the home-produced compost next year .....

Are there any other good offers around at the moment that members know about?
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground. Author unknown

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Compost/Growbags - best buys?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 13:57:04 »
whatever you do, don't buy Netto's cheap comost, it's complete cr@p. I posted pics in top tips, i was so fed up with it  ;D

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 16:31:43 »
I'd echo manicscousers but about B&Q's cheapo compost, tried some last year and is definitely not worth it. Have gone back to branded stuff now

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 16:43:33 »
Tried Aldi  last year.  Rubbish.

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 17:35:35 »
i use wickes brand compost with no complaints. i have also used morrison's from time to time as they are close by for when i have run out and don't want to make a trip into town, again no probs there.

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 19:42:38 »
I'd echo manicscousers but about B&Q's cheapo compost, tried some last year and is definitely not worth it. Have gone back to branded stuff now

I bought six bales of B&Q compost last year for £30 (125ltrs each), used them in the greenhouse and in pots and tubs. No problems.

This year I have purchased four bales for £20 (150ltrs each).

I use the compost in pots, tubs and troughs, after that season it goes on the garden to breakdown the clay.

I sift the fine stuff out for seed compost and the coarse stuff I put in a bag for putting in the bottom of plant pots.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 19:46:47 by Larkshall »
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

daileg

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 20:02:19 »
ill agr4ee with larkshall i bought the same last year this year bought John innes what a difference much better cost a little more but wish my garden soil was this good its like a forrest meadow

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 20:18:50 »
I think you only get what you pay for, so many stories of disappointment through buying cheap compost and growbags  I go with John Innes and Humax
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 20:33:31 »
Yes but which brand of John Innes....it's a number of formulations/mix developed by John Innes later John Innes Institute but it is sold by different manufacturers and despite supposedly following the JI formula they are not all the same.

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009, 20:44:22 »
Yes but which brand of John Innes....it's a number of formulations/mix developed by John Innes later John Innes Institute but it is sold by different manufacturers and despite supposedly following the JI formula they are not all the same.

John Innes Seed Compost  to start then i pot on into John Innes Potting Compost No 3.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

weedgrower

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2009, 22:23:09 »
i checked on the which website and the seedling compost that came out best was B & Q
takes over your life doesn't it

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2009, 23:51:33 »
We bought some compost from ASDA, £4 for 125litres, it seems good stuff.

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2009, 00:18:32 »
If I just want "stuff" that will hold a plant in place while I add my own feed, then B&Q, although at 7 notes a 150L bale it aint that cheap.

If I want quality, I tend to go for Levington Multi-purpose, at 4 notes for 75L its quite expensive, but the difference in plant growth is quite noticeable.

terrier

• Acre
  • North Wales
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2009, 01:18:11 »

I agree with Kea, which brand of JI do you use? On these forums I've read some pretty poor reports on JI composts. I've been using B&Q for years with no problems but maybe I'd have had better results with more expensive brands?? When you say 'poor results', etc, what exactly is the problem? There's so much on the market these days it really is a minefield of what to buy. I seive B&Q multi purpose compost and mix with sand and get excellent germination from seeds, then I use the same multi purpose compost for potting on with no problems. Should I be expecting more/faster growth from my seedlings? The question certainly is a teaser.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2009, 07:57:52 »
I'm a bit narked with our local supplier to the Lottie shop, nothing wrong with the quality but they have upped the price and dropped the volume at the same time!!  >:(

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2009, 08:03:53 »
http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,45701.0.html
this included john innes, as you can see, we got lots more than we bargained for, twigs, crockery, plastic etc  ;D
I only put this on as Netto are still selling this  :o
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 08:05:41 by manicscousers »

AdrianH

• Not So New ...
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2009, 11:48:53 »
I tend to use B&Q Multi purpose with out any problems. Although I do often find mixing it with a bit of John Innes and some vermiculate makes a really nice compost and my plants (especially my chillis) seem to love it so far.

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2009, 14:22:05 »
When I asked which manufacturer of JI I meant was it levingtons, gem, westland....JI 1,2,3 etc are the formulations developed by the JI Institute but they don't actually sell them manufacturers use their 'recipe'.

I use Westland composts including their JI composts exclusively even though last year and the year before my closest garden centre didn't stock this brand.

I tried Levington's/Gem...sorry can't remember which now ...JI2 and it was full of rubbish (like manicscousers stuff) full of twigs and seemed more like bark mulch. I should have taken it back but I used it in the bottom of big pots and put better stuff on top.

I don't have a B&Q close enough and I don't rate Homebase or focus compost.

torquil

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2009, 16:12:38 »
  have tried Humax last year with good results they were75L this year however now 60L can get 3 bags for £11 pounds at small garden center nearby.good clean compost with plenty of additives

zigzig

• Acre
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2009, 18:36:20 »
Netto 99p for grow bags. Saw them when I got loads of packs of seeds for 19p each pack.

As we have a large garage, we always get our compost in Late Summer/Autumn when the shops/supermarkets have knocked them down to half price or less.

Keeping them over winter does more good than harm.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal