Author Topic: Over wintering chilli plants  (Read 1281 times)

Mushy Pea

• Acre
Over wintering chilli plants
« on: March 01, 2009, 18:45:47 »
 :-\

Has anyone managed to overwinter their chillis?

We decided to give it a try after some earlier posts suggested we might get an earlier start but ours look dead. That includes those we kept in the poly tunnel and even a couple we kept in doors at home.  ???

MP

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Over wintering chilli plants
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 18:48:19 »
Mine died too, eldest was looking after it in Uni, brought it home for Xmas then didn't take it back and we forgot to water it!!!!   :-[

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 18:49:19 »
Try re-potting it in some fresh compost and start watering it? We have overwintered an apache plant and it is springing into life now.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 18:50:51 »
Should I cut back most of the branches? I seem to remember somebody posting pics of that...  ???

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 19:24:30 »
Should I cut back most of the branches? I seem to remember somebody posting pics of that...  ???

I am no expert, but that is what I did last year. Am sure someone knowlegable willl be along soon.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 19:56:09 »
Hiya! here's the link in Chilies Ahoy (at the top of Edibles) that I found for you:
http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,48677.0.html

I've got 2 Apache plants in pots in my kitchen - was wondering if I could risk putting them into the unheated g/house? Guess I'll not risk it for a couple of weeks :-\

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 21:19:09 »
I've never had any luck overwintering chillies, even ones kept indoors.
The ones kept indoors keep fruiting for a few months then die.

I don't bother any more because of the space it takes up and I plant new seeds every year.

Levi

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 21:57:50 »
I managed to overwinter 3 chillies, a first all round for me, can't even say I was good on watering regs but then a week ago, 1 started flailing, poss overwatered. Gutted, I mean gutted. Decided, for no good reason to shove it in a heated prop at which it went crispy a treat.  ::) Anyways, checked up on here for info but decided to repot all three anyway, anyway as the others were goin yellowy and couldn't face losin anotha. Glad I did cos found a little red mitey runnin around the deadish one, thinkin its the nasty little spider one. treated the otha two to a seaweed drink and gonna spray, spray, spray da seaweed (when I remember). B good 2 see how others get on.  :-[
One Love

tim_n

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 08:51:27 »
I only had the one chilli plant last year, left this particular one on my windowsill in the kitchen, watered it when it looked a bit dry and suddenly it's burst into life over the last two weeks - even got a flower on it now.  Won't develop of course because you need two flowers for the fertilisation! (was hand polinating this year, which involves sticking little finger in each flower in turn and rubbing it about.  Was fairly sucessful)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal