Author Topic: Old windows.  (Read 1622 times)

beckydore

• Half Acre
Old windows.
« on: February 27, 2009, 10:28:23 »
I was given a number of old windows - some double glazed some single and was planning on making cold frames from them. They are approx 5ft by 1 ft, some longer, some shorter. I now have about 8.

What would you recommend? Something EASY and useful please.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Old windows.
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 13:41:37 »
Short ones at the ends... single depth (1') and see if there are enough to cover the top... predrill and screw corners to uprights of 2"x2"...  :)

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 07:00:11 »
You may be as well getting one of those plastic sheets for the lid.

You need to move the lid quite a lot and those windows are heavy. Fine for the sides, back and front though.

I suppose you could use two at the back two at the front and one at each side that would give you a 10X5X1 box. The other two could go on top at each end that would leave you a 8X5 area to put a lid on.

If you get a strip of plastic sheeting long enough, you could fix it with nails to the top of the back of the box. Then bring it forward so that it reaches the ground and weight the sheet with bricks or stones.

The biggest problem will be the puddle on the top when it rains heavily. There is perforated plastic sheeting available which will allow rain in, but still keeps the warmth in too.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 12:13:47 »
I did a trial run cold frame using old windows supported by metal tubing left from a plastic-covered greenhouse which I wrapped in bubble wrap for the sides. Very make shift but it worked so well the next season I used the windows (and collected more) to build a walk in solar greenhouse (windows only on the south side). I guess you'd call it a walk-in cold frame. It has been growing lettuce slowly all winter. I still need to add more black jugs of water to maintain the heat over night better. I hope that by Fall all will be organized. ::)
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal