Author Topic: house plant question for mum  (Read 1775 times)

jesssands

• Acre
house plant question for mum
« on: February 22, 2009, 20:52:10 »
This is her plant, did she say it was an ice plant?? can't remember!

Anyway, her question is this, see how the leaves were quite compact at the bottom of the plant and now some of them have become taller and more spread appart. She says is this because its flowering or could it be that she's had it in the conservatory and now she's brought it in the house???

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
Re: house plant question for mum
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 23:05:47 »
It looks like it is because it is flowering to me, perhaps bringing it in from the conservatory, has spured it into action it looks very healthy to me.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 12:00:37 »
Its an Echeveria see here; http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Echeveria/Echeveria.htm

click on pictures to enlarge them.

The Ice plant is; Mesembryanthemum crystallinum

I hope this helps!

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 05:44:03 »
It is normal development.

The people who grow them commercially are clever to make sure plants look perfect when they are offered for sale and we often forget that plants keep growing, will out grow their space too.

Potting up into larger pots at regular intervals or actively dividing and separating plants can make 'house plant gardening' a bit of fun too.

The stems of flowers can be cut back to the base and the excesses should transplant into smaller pots. 

I know the instinct is fear of killing the original plant, but you can not reverse time and get them back to what they were. 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal