Author Topic: Re-using compost in pots for veg?  (Read 1623 times)

Chris Graham

• Hectare
  • Stirling, Scotland
    • Backyard
Re-using compost in pots for veg?
« on: February 22, 2009, 13:10:48 »
Hi everyone....just been checking over my seed collection and planing this years veg.

Seems I have a lot of seeds!

Just wondered if anyone reuses compost in pots year by year?

Mainly asking as I have lots of pots and containers to fill and dont want to keep buying new compost every year.

I was thinking of crop rotation and the use of household organic matter to mix with the pot compost towards the end of the year. Dont really like the idea of just getting rid of the used compost.....seems a waste.

Suppose we reuse our garden plots every year (crop rotation too) so I dont see why not with pots.

Trying to make the most of my space and create many growing areas.

Astronomy, Veggies & Beer

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Re-using compost in pots for veg?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 14:26:53 »
I think a lot depends upon the size of pots and what you are growing.

I often fill the botom 30-40% of the pot with compost that I have riddled/seived to remove any old roots, then top of with new!

What you have to keep in mind is;

Did the compost come in contact with diseased plants previously, if it has don't use it.

Then there is 'rotation' to think of; for example i.e. don't use compost that you grew tomatoes in last year for potatoes ( and vice versa)  it will be truly spent and you might encourage blight.

I think it is a case of let common sense prevail!

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 18:53:30 »
I reuse all my compost with the proviso that in the event of soil borne disease becoming present it would then be cleansed by fire. I don't even bother too much about the old fibrous roots. Mind you, I make my own compost in the first place.

jo9919

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 21:14:30 »
I do reuse my old compost which I have used in containers to grow veg, but don't use it to grow the next seasons veg.

I either use it on my flower border to improve the soil, or, more usually bung it in the compost bin. My garden compost is absolutely brilliant, I've never had the problems which some people have, mushy, smelly etc. It's a lovely crumbly texture. I use spent compost, veg peelings, newspaper, grass cuttings, prunings etc. and I mix this in with multi purpose when filling my containers.

Therefore, I'm not spending as much on multi purpose each year, and the spent compost is being reused.

The problem I would see with reusing the compost in your containers is that after growing one crop in it, the nutrients are probably used up.

By the way. I enjoy looking at the photos on your blog  ;D

Jo.

Chris Graham

• Hectare
  • Stirling, Scotland
    • Backyard
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 08:16:14 »
Thanks everyone for the comments. I'm going to give it a try and see how I get on. Like the idea of removing the top layer and replenishing that.

Astronomy, Veggies & Beer

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 23:07:50 »
I have always used fresh new compost each year.  The older stuff always goes in my compost bin or is thrown on the soil to be dug in later.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal