Author Topic: cleaning a poly tunnel  (Read 2628 times)

luap

• Not So New ...
cleaning a poly tunnel
« on: March 02, 2009, 19:13:43 »
hello all
 got a 25x12 poly tunnel,it is 4 years old and going a bit green,how do i clean it??? :-\
2 plots?you greedy sod!!!!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: cleaning a poly tunnel
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 19:37:29 »
hiya, luap, welcome to the site  ;D
we've just cleaned ours, 30x10, we use vinegar, small amount of washing up liquid,  water and clean it with a car sponge  :)
if it's too sudsy, we hose it down

luap

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 06:18:41 »
how do you reach around the top?thought about using a mop !no running water on site yet either just 500 gallon of stored rain water :-\
2 plots?you greedy sod!!!!

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 17:29:06 »
I have just been cleaning the glass on the greenhouse, it was filthy. I asked the men on site how often they cleaned theirs. They looked at me as though I had just escaped from the loony bin.

I have got one of those sponge on one side and blade on the other things for windows which has a hollow handle so it will fit on to the end of a broom handle. Or hoe handle if you do not sweep. It was from the pound shop. You could tie a bit of old toweling round a broom head even, it would do a good enough job.

I have not got to use that bit yet, I do not fancy cold water going up my sleeves and any way it started to rain. Probably a good time to do the out side, a wash with rain water.

I had the slightest bit of kitchen spray left  in a spray and so I filled it up with water and it seems to have got the muck, birdy poo and the odd bit of green mould off.

Vinegar or touch of ammonia will do in water, don't splash it on the seedlings though, but neither will hurt the soil if it spills.

Glad that there is more than one of us who is odd. It does look a lot brighter now though, must be better for the plants to have as much light as possible.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 19:02:34 »
that's the same sort of thing we have, long handle, sponge on the side, dip in a bucket, we have a step ladder on site so can reach the middle...but, most of the yeuck is on one outside side and inside  ;D

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 09:41:32 »
If you have a long length of fleece or netting twist it along its length and soak in what ever cleaning solution you want to use, then throw one end over the top to another person.
Between the two of you making a gentle sawing motion moveing along the tunnel it should clean it quite easly.

Neil

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal