Author Topic: Blight - prevention and cleaning  (Read 2825 times)

alienwithaview

• Quarter Acre
  • Lou the cat and young thrush, now happily grown up
Blight - prevention and cleaning
« on: February 24, 2009, 18:38:23 »
Hello, everyone
last year I lost my entire crop of tomatoes, both greenhouse and outdoors, to blight. I destroyed the plants, meticulously cleaned the pots, and drowned my sorrows.
Have now picked myself up again and want to try again, but it dawned on me that the greenhouse has not been cleaned - it will have all the blight spores in it ???
We are planning on taking the greenhouse apart and putting it up somewhere else - somewhere sunny for starters.
So, with it all in bits, what is the best method of cleaning it to make sure all spores are removed? And is there an organic cleaner / disinfectant anyone can recommend?
Much appreciate your experience and suggestions.

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
Re: Blight - prevention and cleaning
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 09:29:28 »
Supposedly blight spores can only survive on living tissue or for a brief period on damp soil .So your greenhouse should be safe from this..
To clean nooks and crannies in a greenhouse for other nasties, I use a stiff brush and a solution of Jeyes fluid..

Cheers .. Jim

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 12:15:56 »
For increased comfort you could spray with Armillatox before re-assembling.

alienwithaview

• Quarter Acre
  • Lou the cat and young thrush, now happily grown up
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 15:10:10 »
Thank you so much for your advice, growmore and barnowl - sorry about the delay in responding : broadband letting me down - that's why I love gardening!
Yes, I probably got overanxious about the blight, but the sight of all my toms perishing last year was heartbreaking. Have bought Jeyes and will get scrubbing as soon as the frost abates, and to make extra sure will get Armillatox as suggested.

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 15:19:17 »
Someone on our site sprays his greenhouse with sterilizing fluid, using sterilizing tabs for babies bottles. Says that his greenhouse comes up a treat.
I presume it will kill all nasties - but would be interested in whether anyone else uses this method - or your comments, for or against.

daileg

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 15:25:07 »
on this subject i heard some where that apple trees have a significant added risk to blight is this true and not to grow apples and potatoes at the same time anyone got anything to add to this would be appreciated

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 16:15:07 »
can't remember my apple trees getting blight and we have a few growing on our plot near to the potato beds  ???

daileg

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 16:18:06 »
can't remember my apple trees getting blight and we have a few growing on our plot near to the potato beds  ???

sorry for not being clear enough what i meant is somone told me if you had apple trees on an allottment it raised the risk of blight to the potatoes and toms was wondering if there was anything in this
as i have just bought my self a apple tree to go in this weekend before i planted was looking for some expert advice l

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2009, 16:31:28 »
someone's filling you with sh*t, mate. Blight, Phytophthora infestans is host specie specific. i.e. it only affects solanaceae (toms and spuds, + a few other rarities)  ;) ;)
You couldn't make it up!

daileg

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009, 17:04:07 »
tonybloke i think what he was implying the bug that brings the virus is attracted to apple trees for living

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2009, 17:26:54 »
Still can't see it though as Apple is related to rose and in no way related to Solanums.  However, aphids can carry blight spores and apple trees do seem prone to these but whether they are the same aphid or not is something I do not know.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2009, 17:50:22 »
Blight is normally airborne. I'm not saying aphids can't spread it but it isn't the normal way. I can't see apple trees affecting the way spores are blown around!

daileg

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2009, 17:54:05 »
thanks guys i have more confidence to plant it out now after hearing what has been said didnt want to spoil the hard work i have done this year allready

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2009, 13:42:08 »
Definately air - borne spores!!
You couldn't make it up!

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2009, 19:54:38 »
It is not a virus but as you say airborne spores, they used to give blight warnings with the weather forecast when the humidity etc , was in the right state. It spreads most in warm humid weather.We used to spray with Bordeaux mixture but you could not really cover the leaves well. If you remove the foliage as soon as you see the first signs the tubers do not get affected and if you leave the foliage it is of no further use to the plant. It is the spores getting washed down into the soil that affects the potatoes.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal