Author Topic: I hate garden centers.  (Read 7932 times)

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
I hate garden centers.
« on: February 24, 2009, 17:20:49 »
Went down the river this morning to check up on the boat, make sure it was still afloat after all the winter white stuff we've had. On the way home my wife said "Lets stop at Nottcuts on the way home"

Stewart heated thermostatically controlled propagators, £10 quid cheaper than everywhere else... Always fancied one of those. Bought it!

Raspberries, Glen Ample, RHS award. Wow, they look healthy... Been thinking of renewing my aging, inherited raspberries for a while. Bought some!

Vermiculite. They've been talking about that on A4A... Never tried it, wonder what it's like. Bought some!

Seeds, 100's of them... Most of them I've never grown before. Bought some!

Quilting book... Missus is into quilting, said "I like this book" Bought it!

Fancy pink wickerwork trug like basket for putting quilting stuff in... Missus liked it. Bought it!

Loads of other pretty (Junk) the Missus liked. Bought it!

Beginning to wish I'd spent the day sitting in my shed. At least that would only have cost me the price of three tea bags and a kettle full of water. 
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: I hate garden centers.
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 17:26:09 »
 ;D Can be an expensive trip out can't it...  :)

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 17:35:13 »
;D Can be an expensive trip out can't it...  :)

My Missus think The Credit Crunch is some type of breakfast cereal.
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 17:38:00 »

My Missus think The Credit Crunch is some type of breakfast cereal.
[/quote]

;D ;D ;D

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 17:38:11 »
Can I come shopping with you Plot 69 you seem like a very generous man !! ;D

Duke  ;)
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 17:42:07 »
Can I come shopping with you Plot 69 you seem like a very generous man !! ;D

Duke  ;)

Fraid not, I only take very generous women with me. :-*
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

Little Bee

• Quarter Acre
  • Hopton On Sea
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 17:45:44 »
I worked at a garden centre for 15 years,had to leave because it was costing me more to work there than i was getting in wages LOL ;D
Nothings sweeter than honey X
http://bexsallotment.blogspot.com/

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 18:48:16 »
We went to the garden centres today too.

All we did was laugh at the prices because we know loads of places where we can get the same at a fraction of the price.

Any one who buys vermiculite deserves it. What the heck is it for, other than to take money off people?

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 19:25:27 »
All we did was laugh at the prices because we know loads of places where we can get the same at a fraction of the price.

Which begs the question... Why waist all that petrol going somewhere for absolutely no reason whatsoever when you could have gone somewhere else and got something and saved money on both fronts?

Or did you go just for a laugh?  ::)
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009, 20:09:25 »
Went for a rece to my local garden center today, tomorrow is 10% off for us OAPs.
I want a new 4 tier plastic green house. £24.99.  :o :o Off to Wilcco's tomorrow. ::)
Smile, it confuses people.

Flunky

• Acre
  • In Sunny Narfook.
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2009, 20:37:14 »
We are terrible. Only dare go to garden centers with cash. We now leave the debit card behind. Who knows what sort of stuff we would buy if not. I went out to buy seed potatoes (set my mind on 3 types) ended up with 6 varieties, 5 growbags, netting, fleece and seeds. Have never spent so much in one go.

james1

• Half Acre
  • Huyton
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2009, 20:38:37 »
Yes but you had fun  ;D ;D

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2009, 22:27:55 »
My missus says she goes shopping because she needs stuff.  When I ask her what she needs, her reply is " I won't know until I see it"
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2009, 22:31:58 »
Went for a rece to my local garden center today, tomorrow is 10% off for us OAPs.
I want a new 4 tier plastic green house. £24.99.  :o :o Off to Wilcco's tomorrow. ::)

Try Focus, 4 tier were reduced to £10.00.

Kendy

• Half Acre
  • Little Sutton, nr Ellesmere Port
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2009, 09:33:48 »
It amazes me just how much stuff you can buy in Garden Centres which has nothing to do with gardens  !   Furniture, crockery, clothes, greetings cards, Xmas rubbish, etc but you can't buy a lawnmower at most of them !

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2009, 10:17:31 »
I love garden centres.

I have to drive past one most days and if funds are low I do my best not to go in.

Guarantee I will see something I really must have. ;D

By the time I have driven to wilkos and paid for parking I would not be saving much.I do stock up if I happen to be by one though.

If you go round the garden centre you feel you have had an outing..............don't get that feeling in the cheaper shops.

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2009, 13:45:59 »
In my local garden centre you have to walk for what seems like half a mile through loads of candles, baubles etc. to get to any plants, but there are loads of plants to choose from. 10% off on Tuesdays for anything and 10% off every day for anything for the allotment is a good wheeze by the owners.  You end up buying much more than you would otherwise.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2009, 14:34:22 »
Well I spent the day at my plot yesterday and yes, horror of horrors, I planted my raspberries on a flower day! Thought I'd better get them in before Armageddon

Today after paying the bills in the bank, my Missus wanted to go to John Lewis to look at material and girly sewing stuff so I went back to nottcuts because I wanted some more raspberry canes, enough to do another row.

Oh yes, and while I was there I bought a new cover for my mini greenhouse, some onion sets, four more packets of seeds and why the hell I wanted a Dahlia tuber I'll never know but the colour looked nice so I bought one anyway!
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2009, 18:22:13 »
 69, you do make me laugh, i am keeping your message away from hubby, we went to VAN HAGUES garden centre Tuesday just to get a couple of bits & pieces, but there are so many things you need you just don`t know untill you see them  ;D ;D ;D, then we ended up having lunch, need to remortgage for that,i had a great day saw some lovely things & new plants that i needed !!!! just did not know it,till then ;D dear hubby bless his heart will recover in a couple of weeks just in time for a spring visit :o :o :o. ;D ;D ;D

flossy

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2009, 19:02:29 »

No other interest, except ''   I  love Nottcuts  ''   , have one close by, they look up plant names for me,

all thier plants are healthy,   bit more to pay -  but then you get what you pay for.

Also have bought several Birthday and Wedding presents from thier gift  and home section,

also buy plants from Aldi  and Wilko

--   there you go !    ;D

floss xxx

Hertfordshire,   south east England

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal