Author Topic: Upset about a comment  (Read 7562 times)

Squash63

• Half Acre
    • Walsall Road Allotments
Upset about a comment
« on: February 22, 2009, 12:46:44 »
I've just come back from the allotments and I'm feeling a bit upset.  One of the men was having a bit of a rant about how untidy our site was.  He said it was the worst he'd ever seen it in all the years he had been there. 

When I asked him what in particular he objected to he said it was all the bottles on top of canes, and plastic barrels (for compost or water) on the plots.  His own plot doesn't have bottles or barrels - but it doesn't have many plants either.  In fact, it's mainly grass which he strims.

I am the site secretary and have always felt quite proud of our site,  I thought sites were meant to look like ours did! We get lots of visitors and they always comment on how good it looks.  Maybe I'm living in a dreamworld and other sites are models of tidyness and order. 

Please, someone tell me that there are other sites like ours.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham
www.growit.ik.com

little pud

• Half Acre
Re: Upset about a comment
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 12:53:02 »
tell him to sort it out for you then!!!!just ignore people like that, just because they have been there for years (too many years some of them) they think they can tell us youngsters what to do.
happy gardening

kev.

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 13:30:44 »
Just tell him if he stuffs straw up his sleeves and down his trousers and runs up and down your paths all day scaring the birds off you'll take the bottles down.

If he refuses then... Just tell him to stuff himself anyway!
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 13:47:33 »
Don't be, just ignore him. He's probably jealous that your plot is better than his.
Most sites are not tidy which is all part of the charm of allotments!
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

carlseawolf

• Not So New ...
    • a plot on the landscape
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 13:48:41 »
Well you have got two choices,
 Throw the health and safety book at him for not covering canes to protect other allotmenteers eyes or get him throw off for not using the plot to grow veg / flowers on , as this must contravine one of your rules .
 I take it either your committee or council do risk assessment of plots for insurance perposes and any liabilities have to be fixed by the plot holder , plastic bottles may not look nice but they are there for a perpose.
 The best way of getting back at him is to make him put plastic bottles on his canes by changing the rules on the allotment as a majority vote is all you need and they all ready do it anyway.
Ilfracombe , North Devon

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 13:53:31 »
I have plastic bottles on the tops of my canes - they are cheaper than canetoppers and are an essential safety item. Well for me anyway I get really engrossed in what I am doing and sometimes am not as concious of where the canes are.

I think the spirit of allotments is one of mend, make do and innovate and therefore they are not going to be show gardens. I therefore wouldn't be so upset about the comment - after all as you say he mainly has grass and that doesn't take a lot of knowledge or skill to strim does it. :)

taurus

• Hectare
  • Swindon, Wiltshire
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 14:41:42 »
  ::) Good job he's not next to my plots as I use a redundant child's swing frame ( the sort that as 3 different things on) for my bean canes.  As its so sturdy and heavy it stays in place.  We move it each year and I keep promising myself that I'll paint it green so it blends in.  And am collecting bright yellow containers from work that would other wise end up in the skip to grow things in. (5 gallons)
He sounds as though he has to much time and money.  Just ignore him. Half the fun of having a lottie is make do / mend / recycle /swop.  The other half is mixing with like minded people.
            Sending you a big hug  :) :)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 14:50:32 »
I shouldn't think theres a site in the country without plastic bottles or barrels on site, as just said all the recycling and different ideas are part of the charm on the lottie, ignore the pratt.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 14:53:45 »
I think it was silly of him to complain about that.

I do understand where he is coming from though,Personally I dislike them,they do look messy and I do not believe they frighten birds.

I stick a bit of Plasticine in the bottam of a small flower pot ,upside downand put them on the end of canes,plenty of free empty pots at the garden centre.

My second plot had several of these plastic bottle in the undergrowth.Grrrr.

I am one of those that like a pretty plot if you like and I am careful what I use as I  like it to look good and taste good.LOL

Saying that it is a stupid thing to complain about,he should have kept his thoughts to himself.

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 15:17:11 »
Try to ignore it. We've got a few people like that on our site - rolling lawns and flower beds with hardly any vegetables growing and not a plastic bottle in sight. But the majority use plastic bottles on the end of canes, not only to protect eyes but also to distract the pigeons and nobody bothers about it. I suppose the little yoghurt drink bottles look better, but some of us don't drink the stuff.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 15:46:29 »
We have different coloured plastic balls on canes on one plot.  I think they look quite pretty and don't bother me.  I was always told about the danger of canes, can poke out your eyes.  Allotments are not meant to be pretty but functional.  Tell him to stay in his own back garden and mow his lawn.  What a shame as the people on my allotment site are lovely and friendly and my plot is certainly not perfect or tidy, but vegetables grow.

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2009, 16:01:53 »
not much more to add after reading all your replies,but sending you a big hug from one sec to another,we have also had a day of one person trying to ruin all our hard work,im growing quite a thick skin to deal with such people!! its the only way,but i hope you feel ok and have got lots of complements from other plotholders on what im sure a great job you are doing
rach
x
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2009, 16:14:24 »
Ridiculous! Personally I prefer multi-coloured ball-pool balls to plastic bottles  ;), but whatever you use it keeps the canes safe and makes the plot look used.

Ignore him and carry on as before!

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2009, 16:57:04 »
I use small bottes on the top of my canes. I do like them to be all the same size if possible but if not so what. I wouldn't want to poke my eye out or have anyone else do the same. I don't think for one miute they would scare the birds away. I also use 1litre clear bottles on my sweetcorn to protect against squirrels.We all have our own ways of doing things. Wouldn't it be nice if folks could just live and let live without critisizing others.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2009, 17:38:16 »
As most of the other posts have said, I would rather have compost bins and water barrels to conserve water than not. to me they are allotment essentials.

I think the look of allotments and how people re use all sorts of items into supports for beans etc. is entirely part of their charm! How boring it would look otherwise!

Don't be upset by his remarks, treat them for what they are, just his opinion! Yours is equally as valid! ;D

Here is a small selection of the plots on our site last year...

If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Two Choices

• Acre
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2009, 17:38:43 »
Hi Squash, this guy is clearly a pain but a few adverse comments are better than losing an eye.  Alotments are all about inovation and the feelgood factor of making something work.
You stand your ground.  I'm afraid I would tell him to p*** in the wind,  or better still on your compost heap  ;D ;D ;D

kingston boy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2009, 17:58:14 »
On our contacts for the plots it says that the allottment is to be kept for mostly for the growing of vegetables. I'd imagine yours must also say something similar. Maybe the fellow should be asked as to why his plot is mostly stimmed and not for what we all have a plot for. In this day and age of shortages of available sites should he be asked to give his plot up to a more worthy, or budding. allottmenteer

flossy

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2009, 18:25:07 »

Keep up with the cane tops , bottles , balls anything you can stick on them to

protect you'r eyes, they are   [ one of ]   the most preciouse  of your bodily parts

--    let no one change your views on the  said subject !!     >:(

floss xxx
Hertfordshire,   south east England

Mushy Pea

• Acre
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2009, 18:56:47 »
Hi Squash,

I can only agree with everyone else. Don't let one "jerk" spoil it for you.  >:(

Life is too short. Better with 2 eyes too.  :o

Leave him to his grass.

MP - Hugs all round.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2009, 19:38:57 »
Don't get into a stew about him, do what I do, smile sweetly and say nothing. Think your thoughts and do what suits you.
I find it has the desired effect.
When I mulched with straw in the begining I had many, many very rude and unhelpful comments, as I did when I won a prize for my little plot last year. ::) ;D, which says it all really. Just sounds a silly arse to me.
Smile, it confuses people.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal