Author Topic: YES!!!!!!! iv got manure  (Read 1536 times)

adam apple

• Not So New ...
YES!!!!!!! iv got manure
« on: February 21, 2009, 21:11:38 »
Sad i know, but i was so excited about my delivery of farm yard manure (well rotted) this morn. The only thing is. Is where do i put it i was going to put on the potatoes but not sure. So i kinda need some advice. Thanks

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: YES!!!!!!! iv got manure
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 21:15:09 »
we've got it on the potato beds, onion beds, around all the fuit and rhubarb.
dug bean and squash pits and filled them, mixed with shredded paper and filled over..enjoy yourself  :)

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 22:13:23 »
Not at all sad!

I bought a tenners worth of hoarse manure last year, about 2 1/2 ton. Only time I've ever been that excited since was when I got my iPhone last month.
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 23:25:39 »
congratulations adam! hope you enjoy it and you reap the benefits!let us know! (im jealous!)
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 18:02:51 »
Don't worry about it Adam you are amongst friends. My OH & I tell any who will listen about our manure & how we bagged it up (150 bags) & took it to our plot.
Good Luck,
Janet

TheEssexYorkshireman

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 12:32:25 »
Hi, so is the manure scare now over if so I'll be off down to the local stables this weekend.

TEYman

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 13:08:24 »
No, the "manure scare" isn't over! If it contains aminopyralid, it won't have been killed just by sitting in a heap over winter. It can only be rendered inert by thoroughly digging and/or rotovating - several times, if necessary.

But not all manure contains the weedkiller, of course. So if you and your supplier are confident, go ahead. We've tracked down the source of contamination on our site and we think the present supply is safe. (Watch this space!!) We've just opened up the heap, but are advising members to: a) dig or rotovate it in, not compost it; b) not use it on crops like potatoes; c) make a note of where they use it and look for any problems & report back.

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 22:14:08 »
Yes, I got this years 2 1/2 ton of manure delivered today. Well, Sunday in fact but I didn't see it till today... I only ordered it in Octobre! specifically for plot 68. Trouble is, the dozy tw8t that delivered it, delivered it to the wrong plot. It was supposed to go on plot 68 where I'd made a large enclosure complete with carpeting and made it foolproof obvious where it was to go.

So where'd they put it? On plot 69 right on top of 12 rows of newly sown potatoes. A typical case of " I can't read and I can't right and I can't drive a bloody tractor either!". So I've got to move all of it by hand before my potatoes come up trying not to tread all over them. It's not even good stuff, more straw bedding than hoarse sh*t.

I was not best pleased, and neither was the allotment secretary when I phoned her up and got her out of bed and had a right rant.
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal