Author Topic: Argos walk in greenhouse  (Read 14474 times)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
Argos walk in greenhouse
« on: February 21, 2009, 12:50:04 »
Do I don't I, Argos have a walk in greenhouse for £29.24 (reduced from £38.99).  I think you all know the answer.  YES, YES, YES.  I will have to find space in my small back yard.

Slug_killer

• Acre
  • I wanna be a slug.
Re: Argos walk in greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 14:09:01 »
Mine only lasted one season, even anchored it down with paving slabs. One big puff (wind that is, not a large gay person) and it was gone.

Half way down the site, cover ripped, connectors broken.

Wont bother again - I'd rather save up and get a proper one.
When Santa's about, just hoe-hoe-hoe

Little Bee

• Quarter Acre
  • Hopton On Sea
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 15:23:19 »
I had one of these and never again.
The wind kept blowing the plastic sides inwards causing the seed trays to fall off the bench with a loss of all my lovely seedlings. >:(
The bars to make the frame are now used on my allotment for small cloches
Nothings sweeter than honey X
http://bexsallotment.blogspot.com/

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 15:57:37 »
My first one was smashed to pieces in a pretty sheltered back garden two years ago in July,  :'( then last year I bought another one but the winds prevented me from putting it up, so I now have it up in the spare room indoors.  ???      ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 17:54:09 »
Well it has arrived.  It looks very complicated to put together (hundreds of poles and small joining bits) but will get OH to do it.  My garden/yard whatever is very small and sheltered by a brick wall, so should be OK if I can find the room to put it.  I found the smaller one very useful and lasted about 5 years until the cover tore, cat used to sleep on it.  Oh well we all make mistakes.  Saw one in Morrisons for £10 but had a bit missing and was reduced to £5 but couldn't carry it, should have bought it as only really want the cover, but it was 3 tier and mine is 2 I think.  Searching about for a tape measure.  Had decided that my house if full of rubbish, since I retired I thought it would be tidy but seems to have got worse.  OH keeps buying off ebay, have got a swimming pool, that is too big for the garden/yard and a whatever (loads of poles and sheeting) it is under the spare bed.  Chest freezer in the spare bedroom full up with food and what do I fancy tonight, a takeaway curry.  I think it is time to hire a skip and a bit of spring cleaning.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 17:58:34 »
Don't skip it, freecycle it!

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 18:26:18 »
It's not that complicated once you get going Borlotti, up against the brick wall should be fine and you'll get the heat from the wall hours after the sun goes down, if you need a hand with it give us a shout.  ;D ;D ;D

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 18:42:07 »
Thanks for that.  I am sure it will be brilliant when all the pieces are put together.  I do hate all this self assembly stuff, but do love jigsaw puzzles so expect it will turn out OK.  Will keep you informed of progress.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 17:27:02 »
My greenhouse is up, and fits against the wall.  The wind blew the cover off once but it is now tied down.  I am very pleased because my mini greenhouse that I didn't get a replacement cover for fits inside the larger greenhouse, had to take the top bit off but have now got more shelves.  It is not a proper glass greenhouse but will be sufficient for me to start my seeds off, so I am pleased and it only cost £30.

Natsb

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009, 14:21:49 »
Mine was blown across the garden last night - but I had brought my seedlings inside when I realised the weather was going to be bad.

I only left a small tray of onions that were not doing well anyway- so no loss there.

I guess they are fine if you keep an eye on the weather report and accept their limitations

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2009, 20:31:56 »
Hows the greenhouse Borlotti with these winds we've had in Enfield these last few days.  :-\     ???      ;D ;D ;D

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2009, 21:18:16 »
I've got a similar one from Wilko, and it isnt very sturdy. The connectors are very weak and crack if you put too much pressure on them, and yes the sides do flap about. Wondered why my seed trays had moved!

My plan is to tie it around the shed so it cant blow away and insert some wire mesh down the sides to stop it flapping inwards. Heres hoping..

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2009, 12:26:17 »
It is fine, it is against a wall so is sheltered.  Have put some seeds in it and still have plenty of room for more so am quite pleased with it so far, so good.

little pud

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2009, 18:21:39 »
waste of money, mine went as soon as the wind picked up...I even screwed all the poles together and tied it down with rope and stuck soil round the edges...wouldnt bother  >:(

Magnolia

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2009, 22:49:10 »
Mines been up for 18mnths now.  Tied to a brick wall and bricks on bottom shelf to stop the poles coming apart.  Cant use any of the shelves that came with it as everything gets shaken off them with the slightest breese.  I've put freestanding shelving inside instead (a bookcase would do) and it works a treat.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2009, 21:37:30 »
Mines been up for 18mnths now.  Tied to a brick wall and bricks on bottom shelf to stop the poles coming apart.  Cant use any of the shelves that came with it as everything gets shaken off them with the slightest breese.  I've put freestanding shelving inside instead (a bookcase would do) and it works a treat.

The shelving that comes with the zippered greenhouses has many good uses. I wired some together, attached them to posts for cucumbers to grow up and added more as the plants grew;   other shelves I wired into a triangle or square and use them around clumps of flowers as plant supports.  They're green so are unobtrusive in the flower garden.  The poles are being used to support bean netting for limas and pole beans.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

carbonel11

• Half Acre
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2009, 18:17:09 »

The shelving that comes with the zippered greenhouses has many good uses. I wired some together, attached them to posts for cucumbers to grow up and added more as the plants grew;   other shelves I wired into a triangle or square and use them around clumps of flowers as plant supports.  They're green so are unobtrusive in the flower garden.  The poles are being used to support bean netting for limas and pole beans.

I'm using the shelving currently to dry my onions. Seems ideal poke the stalks through the mesh and you have optimum storage space.  ;D

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2009, 19:10:49 »
The best thing you can do with these cr@p-end bargains is to keep the receipt. Take the item back at the end of the season when it is on its last legs, and get a refund. Buy another one in the spring. You could keep it up for years. Argos dont even open the box!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 19:15:37 by lewic »

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2009, 19:25:41 »
Well now I have mine weighted down and tied to the wall it is OK.  Only a very small back garden so can't have a proper greenhouse, OH has a big shed with his tools in.  It has been good for bringing seeds on and now keeps my gardening pots, equipment tidy.  Think it is OK for the money I paid for it, SO I AM PLEASED WITH IT, so there.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2009, 20:39:13 »
Well now I have mine weighted down and tied to the wall it is OK.  Only a very small back garden so can't have a proper greenhouse, OH has a big shed with his tools in.  It has been good for bringing seeds on and now keeps my gardening pots, equipment tidy.  Think it is OK for the money I paid for it, SO I AM PLEASED WITH IT, so there.
how about knocking out a wall or roof in his shed for a big window= shed/greenhouse.
(I can suggest this because I live too far away for him to kill me ;D
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal