Author Topic: growing broccoil  (Read 1072 times)

darren2007

• Quarter Acre
growing broccoil
« on: February 20, 2009, 17:41:42 »
hi all ive have sown some broccoil on sunday and have just looked at then they have all sprouted and are about 5cm high i dont think that should ov happend will they be ok or will i have to start again also they are stored in the kitchen on top of the fridge thanks and need help

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: growing broccoil
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 17:43:34 »
Hiya, Darren..have you got anywhere outside?
cold frame, greenhouse, etc..you could put them out there, it should slow them down a bit  ;D

Two Choices

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 17:48:30 »
Mmm! they sound a bit leggy to me Darren.  Did you start them on a sunny window sill or with extra heat?
I'm growing it (Calabrese) for the first time this year and am unsure whether to start it off in the heated propogator or in an unheated propogator in the cold greenhouse.
I'm sure we will get some sound advice from the masters of the A4A website :)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 17:59:05 »
Hi Darren,

Looks like you have started about a month too early!

I would say your timings should be similar to mine and I wont be sowing my brassicas until aroud the end of March.

As the others have said get them outside they will stand the cold but not frost. If frost is forecast fetch them indoors.

Alternatively start again in a few weeks time.

This is how I grow mine; http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Calabrese/Calabrese.htm

darren2007

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 18:26:44 »
thank you for your advice will move then outside and see what happens and maybe try some more at a later time

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 20:27:42 »
Hadthe same trouble with someof my seeds,Darren. Allit takes is a bit of sunshine to suddenly raise the temperature, or no sunshine so they stretch towards the light!I've started again with some tomatoes today and will be watching them like a hawk!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal