Author Topic: fruit bushes  (Read 1447 times)

simmo116

• Acre
fruit bushes
« on: February 17, 2009, 12:55:21 »
hi i have some small fruit bushes potted in 12" pots in the conservatory i have a black current, goosberry and two bluberry. will these be ok untill it warms up a bit to take them down the lottie and put them in the ground.do you think a 12 inch pot will suffice. teegee's planner recomends october for gooseberry and july for the black current? i dont know.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: fruit bushes
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 13:02:51 »
I would... except the blueberries which like acidic conditions you probably can't provide outside a pot...

simmo116

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 13:12:18 »
where my blueberry's are coserned i plan to put them in small raised bed with acid compost and monitor it for chages in ph levels. im not sure what variants i have maybe someone could tell me.

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 13:15:06 »
Don't grow them myself Simmo, so they all look the same to me...  :-[

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 13:59:48 »
some small fruit bushes potted in 12" pots

Containerised plants can be planted out at most any time providing the soil is workable.

The ones referred to on my website are generally 'bare rooted' specimens ( the most common)

Regarding your blueberries and the pH; I would reccomend a bottomless bucket or 5 gall bottomless drum sunk into your fruit bed then filled with ericacious compost.

In this way you can keep all your fruit in one area, particulary those that need netting from birds & squirrels etc.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 01:01:30 »
It's a bit hard to tell the variety of a blueberry from a photo - there are so many different varieties being sold now. Yours look fine though. I dug pits for mine and filled them with muck and ericaceous compost, and planted in those, which is similar to sinking a large pot in the soil really. As long as you start them off in ericaceous compost and when you mulch use well rotted manure or other acidic manure, and never use lime or spent mushroom compost you should be ok. They do like a moist soil as do the blackcurrants.

simmo116

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 19:04:38 »
planted my gooseberry and blackcurrent bushe's today going to leave blueberries in pots till they get a bit mor established.

i think they should have enough room in those beds. i think/hope

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 19:24:52 »
Plenty big enough... if you are feeling "arty" you could underplant with spring bulbs esp in the corners...  ;D

simmo116

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 19:27:12 »
i was thinking that. ive got one of those shake and rake wild florew boxes atracts beas and butterflies any body used them?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal