Author Topic: AHHH rats in my compost bin!  (Read 2357 times)

mummybunny

• Hectare
  • Loves the lottie
AHHH rats in my compost bin!
« on: February 17, 2009, 09:55:30 »
I put wire mesh under my comspost bin and the buggers still managed to get in! They found a spot on the edge that was weak and have managed to bend it up to get in there! :o

So i am trying to build up the courage to move it! i have some left over header boards from when the OH boarded out the loft and was planning to put the compost bin on that the bin is only about a quater full so thats not too much of a problem.

Just worried about the little buggers attacking me lol i have a scottie dog called Angus and im sure he'll be around there when i do move it as he must know there in there (keeps barking at the bin).

Ive managed to face my fear of spiders since gardening but rats  :o

Any tips? 

lucy

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
Re: AHHH rats in my compost bin!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 10:03:36 »
Well, the rat who set up a maternity ward in my loft didn't like radio 4  ;D ;D ;D ;D  She's moved on now.

You could try kicking the bin hard, or hitting it with a spade, stand back in case they run out.  Make sure there's no cooked food in there that they could be after for eating, otherwise it's just somewhere warm to sleep.  If you use a trap use peanut butter, and if you take it away to release take it a LONG way away, they will try to return.  Not sure about poison if you have a dog, I wouldn't. 

But then there are so many rats around that we don't see, they;ve multiplied in the last few years.  :o :o :o

The Tuscan Beaneater

mummybunny

• Hectare
  • Loves the lottie
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 10:13:01 »
 ;D maybe a wind up radio is what i need !!

I only compost peelings and uncooked kitchen waste keep my egg shells separate to crush up to deter slugs. I have added a bit of shredded paper as advised so i expect it is just a warm place to sleep!

Just not sure if i want them in something that I'm going to be using on my veg's am i being silly surly they do there business in there!

i have thought about using poison but haven't for the same reason would it not get into the compost then eventually into our veg's?

Thanks Lucy

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 10:48:20 »
oh dear lucy,poor you!not sure what advice i can add but sending sympathy instead! would pouring water on make a difference cos it would be too damp for them to snuggle in? and the compost would eventually dry out? or,could you get someone to turn it over for you,thus disturbing them in that way?
hope someone comes along soon to help more.
i know what you mean about the spiders,they dont freak me out so much up the lottie these days...not sure what would happen if i saw one in the bedroom though..........
good luck!
rach
x
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

mummybunny

• Hectare
  • Loves the lottie
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 10:54:09 »
Thanks rach i know what you mean about spiders found one in my kitchen the other day but with 3 kiddies watching didnt want to show the sheer fear lol so slowly picked it up with my heart thumping and put it outside then almost passed out when the kids were out of the room  ;D

As for the rats im pottering in the garden in a moe so if i'm brave enough i'll attack moving the bin  :-\ then i'll add some water to put them off if they can get back in  ::)

lucy

Bean_Queen

• Half Acre
  • growfruitandveg
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 09:21:08 »
. I have added a bit of shredded paper as advised so i expect it is just a warm place to sleep!
Rats like warm, dry undisturbed shelter.
So - water your heap, and disturb it (either by turning with a fork, or banging on the sides every time you are there)

mummybunny

• Hectare
  • Loves the lottie
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 09:30:54 »
Thanks Bean_Queen i managed to move it the other day wrapped wire mesh all around the base no sign of them returning yet i have been going down and giving it a bang and i will make sure that its not to dry for the little buggers if they do manage to get back in!!!

Angus my dog was very interested in the hole once i moved it all but nothing popped out (thank god). Instead he decided to bring me a present the other night a huge frog luckly he didnt hurt it and i managed to pop it in next doors pond think he just wanted a play mate  ;D

Lucy

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal