Author Topic: Automatic Watering From a Water Butt  (Read 2968 times)

Two Choices

• Acre
Automatic Watering From a Water Butt
« on: February 16, 2009, 17:12:36 »
I've been looking into setting up an automatic watering system for the greenhouse using water from the water butt. I've found a plug in 12v Transformer so I can connect it to a timer but am unsure of which type of pump to use. I was thinking of using a 12v bilge pump from a boat but before purchasing one thought I'd ask if anyone out there has set up anything similar and if so, did you have any problems e.g. syphoning? ???

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
Re: Automatic Watering From a Water Butt
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 17:42:17 »
I used to use a dual system where the water but gravity fed the system but if I plugged in mains pressure then itr would activate the sprayers... it worked well, every morning I'd go down the greenhouse, put the hose into the waterbut and start filling that up, go into the GH, weed, sideshoot, harvest etc and wash out the filter unit,  head off round the garden to sort out anything else that needs doing, then when the waterbut was full enough I'd plug the hose direct to the filter unit, which set the whole greenhouse into overhead spray mode.... let it have a 30 seconds or so of that then turn off the hopse, reattach to but to the fitler and it sits there dripping away happily for the rest of the day.... no need for any electrics :-).... A friend of mine has a similar system but permanenetly plumbed with switches and timers adn it basically does what mine does but automagically.... but he built the box himself and there's a toilet ball-thingy in the but with a microswitch on it.....

chrisc

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 19:47:50 »
Hello. If you raise the butt it should be ok gravity fed. Thats what i did last year i bought a drip system from wilkos and a hozelok timer cheap fro B &Q , worked great, the barrel fed 10 drippers in a 8 by 6.

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 15:49:11 »
How far did you have to raise it? I already have a dripper somewhere, just need the timer. And is that battery powered?
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 16:42:03 »
Heyup Robin. Maybes 7 or 8 bricks high. Yes it takes 3 AA batterys its digital you set it similiar to a central heating programmer think it cost around £20 in B&Q  sale,nice bit of kit. You ever heard of Peeveys at Donny for seeds and that?

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 16:47:45 »
Nope, where's that?

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 18:41:56 »
Near CEF, sort of wheatley side of town. Its like a sweetshop for gardners,i only stumbled accross it when i went to CEF.

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 18:45:30 »
I know CEF, I'll have to have a look at that next time I'm there.

gardentg44

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 06:50:15 »
Robin it just off the roundabout, near the new collage,

side of st georges car centre.

used it alot in the past.

good shop.
kes   A man with no money in is pocket at christmas is too idle to borrow.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal