Author Topic: Your thoughts ?  (Read 1843 times)

Flunky

• Acre
  • In Sunny Narfook.
Your thoughts ?
« on: February 13, 2009, 16:38:17 »
Hello,

I have greenhouse and 3 coldframes (made from scaffold boards and glass doors) I have read I can start off my brussels, spring cabbage and leeks.

Which would be the most appropriate site ?

If its the greenhouse, whats the point of a cold frame. I was bored so made them.

The cold frames were manured last november and now need to be raked and prepared.

Any thoughts greatly rcvd.

F.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Your thoughts ?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 16:53:19 »
I'd still leave it until March, but the frame will be fine, just keep a look out for slugs who love new seedlings!  :-\

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
Re: Your thoughts ?
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 22:31:53 »
It come down to how early you want to start things off.
You can start your seeds off in a heated greenhouse then when you have potted them on and the days warm up you move them into the cold frame to harden off. You may have to bring them back into the greenhouse at night till the night time temp warms up.  Then later on, out of the cold frame into the open and back in at night. till its warm enough to leave them outside all the time.
When the soil warms up in the cold frame you can then set some seeds away in that. Once they have germinated and strong enough leave the top open during the day and close it at night, till eventualy its warm enough to leave the cold fram open.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal