Author Topic: New Plants - need some advice please  (Read 1454 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
New Plants - need some advice please
« on: September 05, 2004, 16:25:23 »
Can anyone help me please. I came back from a garden show yesterday with 2 new plants, which i need some advice on.

These are:

Crocosmia 'Citronella' (a yellow variety)

and

Pennisetum setaceum (I think thats the right species   :-\)

Basicaly i need to know how hardy they are and the best growing conditions for them.

I live in the south of england, the local climate is quite mild (rarely falls below about -5c in winter).

I'd a ppreceiate any help.

Palustris

• Hectare
Re:New Plants - need some advice please
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2004, 16:46:34 »
Crocosmias are very easy. They like well drained soil in sun. They are hardy even here. Try not to disturb the 'chain' of corms when you plant them, they flower better with long runs of corms. Cut back the flowering stems when thay have finished to allow the plant to build up strength rather than setting seed.
Pennisetum setaceum is a half hardy grass. It needs well drained soil in sun in a sheltered position. It may well survive Winter outside in your part of the world, but to be on the safe side either keep in a frost free place over Winter or mulch very deeply with bracken or straw or whatever (like Gardener's World people did with their Ginger plants). Also save seeds and sow in Spring.
Gardening is the great leveller.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Re:New Plants - need some advice please
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2004, 17:00:01 »
OK,  Many thanks Eric  :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal