Author Topic: blackberry & apple jam  (Read 2287 times)

new potter

• Not So New ...
    • Helping gambia children
blackberry & apple jam
« on: June 27, 2004, 22:15:52 »
how do i make blackberry & apple jam?
i have never made jam before  ???
what do i need
how much apple do i need
how much blackberry do i need
what sort of apples cooker's or eating?
what else do i need and where do i get it
how do i make it ???
what is the recipe
please help
thanks
 :D

MissBaritone

• Half Acre
Re:blackberry & apple jam
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2004, 14:36:15 »
1 1/2 lbs Blackberries
1 1/2 lbs apples
3Lb jam sugar
4 tablesppons lemon juice.

Put fruit in a pan with lemon juice. gently cook over a low heat fo 10 mins until fruit has softened. Add sugar and continue cooking over low heat until sugar dissolves. Increase heat and bring jam to a rolling boil for 4 minutes (or until setting point is reached. Remove pan from heat and skim off any surface scum with a slotted spoon. Pot and Seal

You can use ordinary sugar but jam sugar is much more failsafe  especially regarding setting. I also find it much quicker

You can also substitute other fruit in this recipie. Just always add 1lb of fruit for every 1lb of sugar.

In answer to your questions the first 4 are answered in the recipie. I tend to use cooking apples but it doesn't really matter for this recipie.

All the ingreediants can be obtained from your local supermarket. I recycle jars that I've bought other products in but you can buy preserving jars from any specalist cookware shop. I buy the waxed discs and lids from my local hardware shop. If you have any other questions please feel free to pm me

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2004, 22:47:40 »
Can't wait for blackberry season!  I noticed today the brambles along the allotment boundary have flowers on, and my 2 lottie apple trees are weighed down with fruit!  Might try elderberry and apple also as there will be lots of them coming.  YUM!

puffin

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2004, 16:47:19 »
 I've just become a member and am so pleased to have found this recipe as I have been given more than 2 kg of blackberries and although I've loads of jam recipes I didn't have one for blackberrry and apple. I made some this afternoon and can't wait to try it, even licking the spoon was gorgeous. Thank you Missbaritone!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal