Author Topic: Oh Dear  (Read 9046 times)

Sexki11en

• Not So New ...
Oh Dear
« on: February 08, 2009, 15:24:41 »
3 years ago I rather enthusiastically planted some chilli seeds (just from shop bought chillies, several different varieties) They were the first things I had ever grown to eat and I was so proud lol.

This year however unfortunately, they have all died (all 7 plants that were left after i'd given the rest to friends and fanily)  My mistake I think was believing they'd be ok in the conservatory but the rad's broke and it was too late before I noticed and the frost got them over the last few weeks cold snap.  I'm gutted!  :(

We LOVE chillis (I fully believe they are part of the reason neither of us has had a cold in over 3 years) so can anyone give us suggestions on which are easy to grow and look after and fruit well.  I think I will be keeping them indoors from now on, unless we have a good summer (we live in the 'sunny' South West)

Any help / tips very gratefully received  :)

SK x

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
Re: Oh Dear
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 16:15:47 »
Hello Kitten welcome to A4A.

Sorry to hear about your chilli plants.

I'm not really qualified to advise you on growing them, but I'm sure the experts will be along soon.

Did you manage to save any of the seeds?
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 16:28:52 »
Hi Kitten, scroll back through the Chillies Ahoy section...  :)

Sexki11en

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 16:45:33 »
Hello Kitten welcome to A4A.

Sorry to hear about your chilli plants.

I'm not really qualified to advise you on growing them, but I'm sure the experts will be along soon.

Did you manage to save any of the seeds?

Sadly not - lesson learned there lol.  I didn't do well with much last year tbh.  Must have been the weather  ;)

SK x

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 14:50:41 »
I find Italian Cayenne, Apache (a compact plant), Satan's Kiss (Ciliega Piccante) and Kung Pao pretty reliable and capable of over wintering, but I 'm sure others will have their favourites.

Are you anywhere near the South Devon Chilli Farm at Kingsbridge?

Sexki11en

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 21:35:06 »
I find Italian Cayenne, Apache (a compact plant), Satan's Kiss (Ciliega Piccante) and Kung Pao pretty reliable and capable of over wintering, but I 'm sure others will have their favourites.

Are you anywhere near the South Devon Chilli Farm at Kingsbridge?

Funny you should mention them Barnowl (and thank you).  We're not, but after reading through this forum, I hopped online last night, found their site and ordered Orange Habanero, Peruvian Purple and Twilight Chilli seeds (because they looked pretty lol)

No idea how they'll go, but I will bring them into the house this year once it starts turning colder  ;D

SK x 

Barnowl

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 10:10:47 »
Good luck!

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 13:06:16 »
I'm an Ambassador for Apache! 8) I grow them in an unheated g/house in tubs & troughs, and the remainder go outdoors, again in tubs/troughs, so they can be moved back into the g/house if necessary. They're really compact - and really, really prolific! I've still a sandwich bag of Apache in the freezer from 2007 - and I use a lot. Have brought two in tubs into the kitchen this winter as an experiment. Just got to see if they'll produce earlier than freshly sown seed this year.

btw...I'm tempted to try Twilight too 8)

Sexki11en

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 13:16:22 »
I'm an Ambassador for Apache! 8) I grow them in an unheated g/house in tubs & troughs, and the remainder go outdoors, again in tubs/troughs, so they can be moved back into the g/house if necessary. They're really compact - and really, really prolific! I've still a sandwich bag of Apache in the freezer from 2007 - and I use a lot. Have brought two in tubs into the kitchen this winter as an experiment. Just got to see if they'll produce earlier than freshly sown seed this year.

btw...I'm tempted to try Twilight too 8)

Am I allowed to offer to swap you some twilight seeds for some apache ones?  I'd be more than happy to (and any of the others if you want to give them a try too)

SK x

Barnowl

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 14:13:12 »
Hi Hyacinth.
Have you tried using saved seed from the Apache? I know they are a hybrid F1 but wonder what the results might be like.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal