Author Topic: pig muck  (Read 2037 times)

adam apple

• Not So New ...
pig muck
« on: February 07, 2009, 16:29:17 »
I'v just discovered a pig farm down the road. I was wondering if its any good for the plot and if it is,what should i do with it. Add straw, leave it for months, is it better than horse manure. I dont know much about it. Some advice would be nice. Thanks

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
Re: pig muck
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 16:51:48 »
Pig muck is best left to rot a while if possible..It isn't as hot as hoss muck (less nitrogen) so you would get away with spreading it sooner ,,Its rich in potash so is very good for root crops like potatoes,leeks,swedes etc. It's also ok if some is put in a sack and sunk in a barrel of water which can be diluted down and used as a liquid feed.
Cheers .. Jim

adam apple

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 17:10:02 »
Thankyou. Right im off to nick some pillow cases from the airing cupboard to use as sacks. Can i put the diluted pig muck on everything.

Peasticks

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 17:40:58 »
Thankyou. Right im off to nick some pillow cases from the airing cupboard to use as sacks.

Good job you aren't married to me  :o

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 17:50:10 »
And me!
Janet.

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 18:40:39 »
Good job you aren't married to me  :o

And me!

If you were both true dedicated allotmenteer gardeners you'd have both put your allotments first and volunteered your pillow cases without needing to be asked  ::)
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

Peasticks

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 20:14:47 »
 ;D ok, but old pillowcases only, none from matching sets and no new ones.

Thats my final offer in the spirit of scientific gardening  ;D

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 20:19:44 »

Pig muck as Growmore says is very good for root crops we used to spread it on the fields where potatoes were going to be grown.
 After 2 weeks of spreading the stuff your skin smelt of the blo*dy stuff used to linger for weeks.

Good stuff though. ;)

Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2009, 20:25:31 »
;D ok, but old pillowcases only, none from matching sets and no new ones.

Thats my final offer in the spirit of scientific gardening  ;D

Ah but you see, using old pillow cases would introduce head lice, bed bugs and dandruff to the manural mix. Would you pick and eat a nice hairy cob of corn knowing it could be crawling alive with nits?

Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2009, 21:42:03 »
Am absolutely horrified about the pillow cases, but nevertheless pig muck is brilliant stuff. We had pigs, and stacked the muck in a large walled pit for a year or so, then spread it on asparagus, for example (other veg as well).

Local farmer was inspired by this, having grubbed up his hop gardens because hops were not paying any more, to plant out fields of asparagus, using our pig muck. Currently asparagus is still a large part of their income even without our pig muck.

Later, no more pigs (bottom fell out of the market), I actually BOUGHT a couple of sacks from a pig farmer. Revolting stuff, fresh, yellow, mealy texture, smelly and horrible. Goodness knows what the pigs were fed on. So make sure that what you buy is dark brown and crumbly and well rotted, and it will nurture everything.

I have such fond memories of stumbling about in this pit, filling feed sack with wonderful pig manure.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal