Author Topic: What size module for onions?  (Read 1781 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
What size module for onions?
« on: February 03, 2009, 21:18:50 »
I can't remember what size modules I used for my onion seeds last year. Will the 1"ones be big enough until they can go into the ground? I've just realisedanother point in favour of sets over seeds- sets don't take up loads of space in your kitchen! ;D

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: What size module for onions?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 23:26:43 »
I use the 24 inserts in a seed tray size Caroline, but I'm a sets man myself...  ::)

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 01:39:49 »
Just personal opinion but I don't think the standard seed tray is anywhere near deep enough for onions and sowing individually in cells is a waste of resources.

I sow my onions in 3 and a bit pots aiming to germinate about 40 or so to the pot. Once they have grown large enough to handle they are simply transplanted to deep polystyrene trays cut down from greengrocers boxes. From then on they grow in comfort till the weather improves enough to move them out into the real world. At this stage they can be flipped out of the box in one brick to be easily divided on site.

Needless to say, if you are growing for the showbench this will not do as it is mandatory to spend hideous amounts of money on your craft, but is ideal for kitchen production.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 15:59:25 »
I am about to sow some onion seed, Eristic, so would you mind explaining why you don't sow them into the deeper trays from the start? Why do you go to the trouble of transplanting them into the deeper box?

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 16:54:23 »
Sure.

First let me say that transplanting is not the chore most people make it out to be specially when you use deep trays. All you need is a stick or a pencil to make the holes. The pricking out process will in fact take less time than sowing each seed separately.

I sow into a small pot because they use less space and are more easily moved and covered if required, and large trays take up space that is always in short supply.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 17:20:59 »
I had some success with a compact plant trainer ("Supersprouter") - sowed a few to each cell, thinned them down to one or two per cell (ideally two but I'm clumsy :( ) then planted out when the weather improved. (I actually sowed in late January but didn't plant out until early May which, in retrospect, was a bit late so the onions didn't bulk up until quite late in the season).

[attachment=1]

These are very small cells, about 1/4 of a normal cell but have plenty of depth.

By the way the trainer normally costs around £15 so Eristic is right about hideous cost, but Sarah Raven was selling them off at 1/2 price last year :).

Susiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 17:46:59 »
Barnowl I use those root trainer propergators and think they are really good - wish I'd have known about Sarah Ravens offer, rare occurrence to get a bargain from Sarah Raven

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 19:49:19 »
Thanks,all-I think i'll start themin pots, then- they'll take up less room.

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009, 20:01:17 »
Pictures are better than words.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 11:40:09 »
Top class Eristic. :)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 12:13:59 »
Wish I could get hold of some of those boxes!

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2009, 12:20:48 »
Eristic, thakls, very convincing explanation and pictures, and I will now do the same. I've only ever used sets before, so this is new to me.

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2009, 19:23:54 »
Wish I could get hold of some of those boxes!

To get these boxes you need to speak to your local high-street greengrocer. They are used for delivery of heat sensitive produce such as broccoli and are somewhat taller with a lid. The produce is packed with ice to keep fresh then the box is thrown away.

I find that an ordinary saw is the best method of cutting the top off without worrying about fingers. Summer is the best time to aquire these boxes so some forward planning may be required.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2009, 19:30:32 »
we got ours from the fish shop  ;D

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2009, 08:53:06 »
Sadly there is neither a greengrocer nor a fish shop in Tadcaster- will have to look out in neighbouring towns.

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2009, 19:49:07 »
So you're treating them as I'd treat leeks.

Makes sense, they're alliums after all. Never heard of it being done before though.

Thanks.  :)
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal