Author Topic: raised bed experience, please..  (Read 6787 times)

thewoodle

• Quarter Acre
raised bed experience, please..
« on: February 06, 2009, 09:56:47 »
Has anyone got any experience with making raised beds out of anything other than wood? If so I'd love to hear about it:-) I am really wanting to make some raised beds before spring and haven't decided yet on how to construct them.

70fingers

• Half Acre
Re: raised bed experience, please..
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 10:03:49 »
Hi,

A few years back we got hold of some car tyres and made some curved raised beds out of those. They are a bit difficult to cut through the rubber and there is a metal ring each side that you have to cut through. But we managed it and they worked well, we connected each length with a small piece of timber.

:)

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 10:29:12 »
i have only used timber but other ways are:

bricks,
concrete blocks,
straw bales,
stone,
i have also seen a bed made from disused roofing tiles,
those logs on a roll bed edgers,

the possibilities are endless especially if you want to reuse stuff

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 11:49:49 »
I've got two plots full of raised beds but I didn't edge them with anything... Lazy raised beds I believe they're called.

They're easy to maintain and moveable. I rearrange a few each year depending on where I want my spuds.

If you look at my gallery you'll see what I mean.
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 12:28:16 »
I will interested to see replies to this.  For the last 2 years I have been using some old fencing.  Feather edge boards I believe they are called.  But I want to replace them as they are not deep enough.  The cheapest and easiest for me I think will be wooden gravel boards. 

thewoodle

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 12:39:30 »
Thanks plot69, they look great, but I think I need mine edged, as it's for my garden and I have children...
Sounds interesting with all the different things one could use. Does anyone know how to do it in stone? Is it very difficult? I think thay could look really pretty...

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 12:41:01 »
Thanks plot69, they look great, but I think I need mine edged, as it's for my garden and I have children...

I've got 6 of those as well... How do you think I get it dug so quick  ::)
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 13:09:53 »
Plot 69!!

I need my eyes testing again because when i looked at your gallery photo I thought what a lucky man you are having a wife that looks fantastic!!

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Psi (Pronounced 'Si'!)

• Acre
  • Welcome to the jungle!
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 13:35:20 »
I used wood.  I decided to go down the raised bed route - for a plot that I can maintain easier (2 young children!), the soil is very heavy clay and because couch grass is endemic.  I looked through the forum and got lots of advice and then built my own.  I used 4"x1" treated pine from the local timber merchant and I essentially have 4 'beds' all about 4m x 3m.  A friend of mine designed them copying the 'keyhole' method where from the 'keyhole' you can reach all of the bed.  The timber cost approx £60 all in and we took about 3 hrs to construct them so instantly gratifying!.  Pics are in my gallery.

Psi

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2009, 14:01:57 »
I used wood.  I decided to go down the raised bed route - for a plot that I can maintain easier (2 young children!), the soil is very heavy clay and because couch grass is endemic.  I looked through the forum and got lots of advice and then built my own.  I used 4"x1" treated pine from the local timber merchant and I essentially have 4 'beds' all about 4m x 3m.  A friend of mine designed them copying the 'keyhole' method where from the 'keyhole' you can reach all of the bed.  The timber cost approx £60 all in and we took about 3 hrs to construct them so instantly gratifying!.  Pics are in my gallery.

Psi

i never heard of the keyhole method. i do like a individualty and it looks good too :D. very nice.

thewoodle

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2009, 18:36:57 »
wow, those are impressive. I can't believe it only yook three hours to construct them! :o It would definitely take me quite a while longer than that.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2009, 18:37:26 »
we re-cycled our old stone fireplace and made raised beds in the back garden, looks good but the lovely white paint needs replacing this year  ;D

Little Bee

• Quarter Acre
  • Hopton On Sea
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2009, 18:43:21 »
I,well my hubby has just made some raised beds out of used scaffolding planks,they are perfect for the job. :)
Nothings sweeter than honey X
http://bexsallotment.blogspot.com/

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2009, 19:16:14 »
Plot 69!!

I need my eyes testing again because when i looked at your gallery photo I thought what a lucky man you are having a wife that looks fantastic!!

Duke

Don't be silly, my wife is infinitely better than that. She's just someone I meet down the plot when the wife isn't with me  ::)
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

spudsmummy

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2009, 19:32:08 »
hi there
i am in prosess of doing raised beds made from gravel boards, they are easy to do. they are about 2.4m x 1.8m. i think there is a pic in my gallery.
i am only doing 1 leavel at the moment but once i have buil up the soil leave i will add another layer as they are easy to do, iykwim.  ;D

someone down my allotments has a round bed made from what looks like an old tin roof (airraid shelter comes to mind) its very deep and it looks like he is perparing it for pumpkins, lol
6.5 rod plot in southampton, just me and my 2yr old son, hehe       

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2009, 20:53:15 »
I did see on a TV program once where a chap used wine bottles up side down (planted) for raised beds. Ask in any pub and I'm sure you would get loads.....or drink the wine yourself...I'm sure the beds will be nice and straight by time you've finished ;D  ;D
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

thewoodle

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2009, 13:40:35 »

I've got 6 of those as well... How do you think I get it dug so quick  ::)
[/quote]

lol, but i bet yours aren't four and six then;-)

thewoodle

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2009, 13:44:48 »
wow, some really creative ideas, would love to see pictures of some of these. Think I might do some picture googling on some of those and see what I find...

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2009, 14:29:46 »

lol, but i bet yours aren't four and six then;-)

I've got a 5, 6, 8, 9, 12 and a 13 year old. The 13 year old loves the allotment so much he wants to go to agricultural college or join the Forestry commission.

He's barrowed so much muck and dug so well I've given him his own large bed. I bought him a load of seeds for Christmas and now he can't wait for the weather to get better.  He loves it.

The younger ones can't quite grasp the concept of staying on the paths  >:(
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal