Author Topic: Transplantings NOT for me!  (Read 4554 times)

genlistlass

• Half Acre
Transplantings NOT for me!
« on: February 05, 2009, 16:52:55 »
Can I sow EVERYTHING straight where I want it to grow? In the past, tiny seedlings transplanted never survived in my garden! Too much of a bloomin' faff.......

It worked with kale and greens last year....... I plan to sow a month later than it says on the packet, 'cos its colder up here.

Gen in Outer Northumberland
No allotment but medium sized garden with greenhouse, small-ish raised veggie plot and little shed.....my little kingdom:-)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Transplantings NOT for me!
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 16:53:46 »
Well that's how nature does it...  :-X

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 17:04:44 »
That's what I generally do!
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 17:19:15 »
I now start most things off in modules, things are bigger when I plant them out so can resist the local slug population a bit better, plus I can sow things earlier indoors and plant them out to grow on when the weather is hopefully more favourable (or keep them a bit longer in a cold greenhouse if not).

Carrots are about the only things I sow direct on the plot now, and they will be mostly in containers this year! ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 18:08:38 »
I will definately sow my lettuce in modules. Last year sowed direct and ended up with too many of one type all at once!! I will sow different varieties in modules so I get a variety!
Hope it works :)

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

genlistlass

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 18:28:03 »
Interesting range of replies...think I will take my chance with sowing direct. I am not interested in ordinary veggies.... I'll only eat lettuce when its chocolate flavoured!

I plan on courgettes, eggplants, asparagus, hanging basket tomatos, Chinese gooseberries and maybe some French beans.

Can I grow beans up my rose arch?

I have a source of alpaca manure from a stud nearby, that worked a treat last year wherever I threw it!

Gen in Outer Northumberland (same latitude as Moscow!)
No allotment but medium sized garden with greenhouse, small-ish raised veggie plot and little shed.....my little kingdom:-)

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 19:14:43 »
While there are arguments for and against sowing direct I want to address the problem being experienced with the transplanting process. This fear or inability of seed sowing/transplanting is becoming a serious 21st century problem largely because nobody sees it done anymore.

Brassica are the perfect plants for sowing in pots for transplanting as they take the disturbance in their stride. The whole process is so easy to do yet difficult to talk about in a post.

I am guessing here but I suspect the problems experienced by genlistlass were caused in part at least by holding the seedlings by the stem. There are few absolute rules in gardening but rule no.1 is Hold seedlings by the seed leaf, never the stem.

Cabbage seed is cheap and germinates quickly so anyone new to the transplanting business should grow a few just for the practice. Young plants can always be eaten if not required for growing on.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 19:54:42 »
all cabbages commercially are transplants, for several reasons, these include.
cabbages are a long time from seed to harvest and would occupy too much land for too long.
they actually get a better root system if under-cut once. ;)
You couldn't make it up!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 20:06:38 »
French beans are either Climbing or dwarf... as the name implies some climb. If there is a rose on the arch wear strong gloves when picking!!  ;D

Oh and French bean seeds are notorious for rotting in the ground so I'd sow them in modules first especially in "Moscow"  ::)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 20:10:22 by saddad »

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 20:26:09 »
direct sowing of courgettes, it can work, but very young seedlings are prone to slug attack
(transplants are by nature larger plants and can stand some damage)
by the time you start eating them, the rest of us will be getting fed up with them!! ;D ;D ;D
You couldn't make it up!

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2009, 09:11:50 »
I presume you are growing your eggplants and tomatoes inside or in a heated greenhouse?I don't think you would ever be able to grow them direct from seed outside in Northumberland- or anywhere else in the UK.

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2009, 09:35:07 »
I presume you are growing your eggplants and tomatoes inside or in a heated greenhouse?I don't think you would ever be able to grow them direct from seed outside in Northumberland- or anywhere else in the UK.

don't forget tomatoes do germinate from homemade compost that has discarded seeds in it but although they germinate when conditions are right the growing season would by then be considerably shorter, so you may not get anything to harvest by the time the seasons are ready to change again :-\.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2009, 14:59:32 »
I never plant anything out when it's really small. I prick them out into pots when they've got 2-3-4 true leaves (I'd be very reluctant to touch anything without true leaves), and then grow them on to a reasonable size before they go out.

genlistlass

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2009, 07:39:58 »

I am guessing here but I suspect the problems experienced by genlistlass were caused in part at least by holding the seedlings by the stem. There are few absolute rules in gardening but rule no.1 is Hold seedlings by the seed leaf, never the stem.

I never knew THAT..probs where I am going wrong!

Wassa module? My dad used to plant seeds into squashed composty thingeys, that swelled when watered....what are they called....then they could go straight into the soil without me mashing the roots????

Gen in Northumberland

genlistlass

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2009, 07:42:05 »

>:( >:( >:(

OK, I'll do the greenhouse bit, do I use very large pots or growbags or what???

Gen in freeeeeezing Northumberland

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2009, 08:42:01 »
Hiya, gen..squashy thingies, jiffy 7s..swell in water, I use them for cabbage,etc..means I can grow them bigger and they have more chance against slugs  ;D

timnsal

• Half Acre
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2009, 10:43:02 »
The bit I did wrong when I first tried transplanting seedlings was trying to put them in at the same depth as they were in the original pot. And then wondering why they flopped around or fell over.
I think it was probably someone on here who said to bury them to the base of the seed leaves. It's gone much better since ;D

Sally

littlebabybird

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2009, 13:24:14 »
The bit I did wrong when I first tried transplanting seedlings was trying to put them in at the same depth as they were in the original pot. And then wondering why they flopped around or fell over.
I think it was probably someone on here who said to bury them to the base of the seed leaves. It's gone much better since ;D

Sally

that is gonna be the most usefull thing i read today
lbb

timnsal

• Half Acre
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2009, 18:03:43 »
 ;D That's exactly what I thought when I first learnt it

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2009, 18:27:33 »
Yes, it's great for any seedlings that have gone a bit leggy due to lack of light.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal