Author Topic: piggies!  (Read 2782 times)

mike77

• Half Acre
piggies!
« on: January 20, 2009, 11:18:10 »
anyone had any experience keeping pigs? we have the room and would eventually like to get a couple of weaners to rear for meat....well when i say "we" my partner is slightly reluctant about the idea but i think i'm slowly getting her round to the idea!!.
any thoughts/advice appreciated ???

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
Re: piggies!
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 12:11:03 »
I  haven't kept  pigs for quite a few years now so I don't know what movement orders if any are  on them now.. Keeping them and feeding them ain't no problem ..
As you prob know you have to have them slaughtered, carcass's inspected and stamped .If the transport issue of this is no problem go for it ...
Your partners reluctance will go away when they are going to the freezer for a nice piece of home fed pork steak..
If your room allows you may be better with say four instead of two. You tend to individualise them less then .
Since the regulations on feeding swill to pigs, economically you may not find it a big saving to buying pork whole sale.  But if you supplement their feed with raw greens and fruit, or better still if you have a bit of grassland etc for em to forage in ..The taste you will get from your own home fed pork Will be far better than any you could buy ..
Cheers .. Jim

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 16:38:31 »
I agree with what growmore has said. Like growmore, I have not kept pigs for a few years, but can only imagine there is more red tape involved than ever. There may be restrictions on livestock keeping depending on what area you are and how close you are to any housing.

Proprietry feed is quite expensive and you will need some where to store it. A fresh water supply is needed close by. If you are rearing them outside they love a mud wallow which also helps them from getting sunburnt in the summer, also strong stock proof fencing. Whether they are in of out, appropriate housing will be needed with lots of dry straw, and you will need somewhere for a manure pile.

Having said that don't let it put you off, pigs are absolutely fab, it’s hard not to fall in love with them. They are very intelligent and humorous animals and enjoy a bit of mischief given the chance! If you do go ahead and get some weaners keep reminding yourself from day one, they will be going to slaughter. Not always easy when they come up and role over for their belly to be scratched.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 19:34:14 »
If you have children DON'T tell them that the pigs in the freezer are yours. We always told our 4 a white lie and said they were from a friend over the road and NOT the ones they had watched being born :)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 20:13:39 »
If you don't tell them, they'll have a nasty shock when they're older. If you don't make pets of the pigs, and take it for granted that they're just meat on the hoof, then they grow up with a much healthier, less squeamish attitude.

Al37

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 20:48:18 »
I think this may help.
These belong to my Lotty neighbour and my daughter likes nothing better than going to see them at the weakend.
Got to admit they are great fun, just like mischievous puppies ;D
However, I have ordered half of one of them no particular one just a half. I will be collecting it from the butcher early march.
I do get a strange feeling watching them play and thinking within a matter of weeks part of one of them will be on my dinner plate  :-\ :'(
But they are enjoying a happy and full life so I kind of ease my guilt with that.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 21:22:47 »
I want some  ;D Oh I miss keeping pigs!

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 09:50:40 »
Hi Jaybe,
              Me too :'(  Did you have the copper going with the peelings you had collected from your neighbours and the pig potatoes boiling away ?...The 2 wooden handle scoops hung up, one with holes in to get the tats etc out of the copper and the one without the holes for adding the barley meal  to the swill bucket. Building the fire up under the copper on an evening, putting the lid on then a hessian sack on top of the lid with a couple of bricks on ..Making sure everyone who saved you peelings through the year had a nice piece of pork at Christmas..Produced from under your coat, wrapped in brown paper during the rationing  :-X  Good old days indeed..     
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 09:53:36 by growmore »
Cheers .. Jim

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009, 23:57:07 »
Nice picture Jim.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2009, 21:33:35 »
Growmore, how much I have missed out on. Most of my time keeping pigs was on a commercial free range egg farm, we also had a couple of house cows so loads of food! I still remember the mess if I didn't get their bucket emptied into the trough before they got so excited and knocked it everywhere!  ;D ;D ;D

I've more recently started salting bacon and ham. Shame I don't have pigs anymore but have to buy it!

mike77

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2009, 09:42:12 »
thankyou all for your advice it's very much appreciated ;)
we have decided it would be best for now to start off with chickens rather than jumping in too quickly with pigs
have found a couple of reputable breeders in our area for when we do take the jump and will be going to visit one in the next few weeks for some hands on advice etc (and some sausages :P).
hope to start with pigs later on in the year so the extra time will allow me to prepare the ground/arcs for them without rushing/bodging it.
just need some warmer weather now so i can get started with the chook enclosure ;D

thanks again for all the advice and will keep you posted....mike

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal