Author Topic: Harvesting PFA tatties  (Read 1545 times)

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
Harvesting PFA tatties
« on: September 03, 2004, 18:52:20 »
I know to regard my PFAs as maincroppers and they are showing the first signs that the tops are beginning to die (either that or blight has just struck ;)).  I'm wondering, tho', whether it's necessary to cut back the tops and leave for a week or two to allow the skins to set, given that they are a 'salad' potato?  And/or should I wait till the haulms have fully died back before harvesting?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2004, 18:52:43 by Jill »

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re:Harvesting PFA tatties
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2004, 19:37:41 »
Use them as salad pots whenever you want. No need to wait for anything. But - if you want the biggest & the most, leave them till the haulms die down - so  long as they're disease free. They store well. They are 'new' till February or so. Remember - no need to peel. But if you want to, do it after cooking. = Tim
« Last Edit: September 03, 2004, 19:39:07 by tim »

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2004, 21:21:22 »
Thanks Tim!  I'll wait till they die back then.  Might investigate the left over couple I shoved into a pot tomorrow tho'.  Can't wait ;D.

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2004, 11:35:16 »
Couldn't wait any longer - just had to look and see ;D - and this is what I harvested from the 3 left over seed PFA tatties I bunged in a pot earlier in the year.  Now looking forward to what the plants in the beds will produce in a few weeks time  :) ;D :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal