Author Topic: Storeage  (Read 1776 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Storeage
« on: September 02, 2004, 18:20:00 »
Where do you advise I store my squashes so they survive through the winter?  I will have about 15 different squashes, and I don't want to just make a huge load of soup!  

Palustris

• Hectare
Re:Storeage
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2004, 18:51:14 »
Once the skin of Winter squashes is hard they will keep for a long time, until afer Christmas in a cool, frost free place. We keep ours with the apples and potatoes in the store shed. Otherwise bake them and freeze. Ask Anne for exact instructions on freezing.
Gardening is the great leveller.

Kerry

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2004, 19:27:54 »
hi,
ditto above, mine kept last year in our unheated conservatory. still have some in the freezer though!

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2004, 12:53:30 »
Had a count up today and actually have 21 squashes.  A couple have now come away from the parent plant so are sitting in the sun on my deck to try and get good and dry.  Problem is our shed gets damp and our conservatory is heated!  Well, tis a good excuse to get Ava up onto the shed roof to refelt it, after all, I have loads and loads of apples which need storing also.  ;D

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2004, 14:50:22 »
EJ I hang mine in nets (the type oranges come in are very handy!) on hooks in the kids bike shed! (they actually have the nerve to moan they can't get to their bikes!! ;D)
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal