Author Topic: Am I underfeeding my hens?  (Read 2090 times)

cocopops

• Acre
Am I underfeeding my hens?
« on: February 03, 2009, 17:27:19 »
I've just been reading another thread about feeding hens.

We have been ripping through layers pellets recently.  We have 15, 1 year ISA's, and are getting through about 25kg in 9/10 days.  My OH says I am feeding them too much so knocked off 1/3 of their feed per day.

They lay between 11 and 14 eggs per day (all through winter).  I have been on the new regime for about a week and there is no real difference in egg production.  They also still have loads of scraps from us, and friends that have our eggs.

Hens being hens always run to the edge of their compound as soon as I open the door, they have always done this.  I have no idea if they are hungry or just enjoying the treats I throw at them several times a day.

Anyone any idea on the amount per hen per day or a link that will tell me.

All the best Coco

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Am I underfeeding my hens?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 17:46:41 »
we got our tips from downthelane.co.uk
we have 17 ex batts and we don't go through that many pellets  :o
we also feed them scraps, boiled peelings, and a couple of handsful of corn per day
we go through 2 bags of pellets per 2 months
also, I find as many weeds and grass clumps as I can for them, they just like scratting around in them.
in spring there'll be lots more slugs and snails  ;D

Peasticks

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 22:33:12 »
I am not sure on the recommended amount of food but I do know that my chickens always try to make out that they have not been fed in AGES everytime I walk past even when the feeder is full - I think they just like to try it on just in case you have anything better on you!

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 22:45:38 »
Each hen requires no more than one cup of pellets per day,  about 4oz.  That is adequate.  Mine get fed more than this due to the fact that it is winter and it is cold.  They also get scraps too and greens too.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

cocopops

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 09:08:22 »
Thanks for all the comments.

I have weighed their food our for the day, it appears that I am now giving them about 5oz per day per hen.  I was giving them over 6.4oz which is over 50% too much. 

I will keep them on this during this cold snap and maybe lower later on.  When the garden get moving again I will take great pleasure in feeding them lots of the fat slugs and snails that appear.

Thanks again

Coco

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 20:46:07 »
Hi MS. Are your hens on the allotment or at home. I would love some but not enough room at the lotty & my friend said they would ruin the garden. I have a hen coup that my guinea pigs are ATM. I cold get a new house for the GPs but then the hens wouldn't be free range. What do you think.
Janet.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 21:06:08 »
ours are at the plot, granny..we couldn't have them at home, specially with our staffie  ;D
plus, all our garden is flags etc, no grass..if your were like ours, they would decimate anything green  ;D
ours aren't in the open, the shed is 9x5 and the run is 44x22..plus we are going to extend it by another 12' so they have lots of room to play.
also, our council probably wouldn't agree to us having hens and some of our neighbours would object, I think  :-\
good luck whatever you decide, hens are great  ;D

RW

• Quarter Acre
    • The Poultry Guide
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 19:51:15 »
Perhaps try Bantams granny - they need little space and eat less.

For my large hens i stick to approx. 5oz per hen which they finish within an hour but there are always greens to eat.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal