Author Topic: Rotavator  (Read 4062 times)

grogan197

• Not So New ...
Rotavator
« on: November 15, 2008, 19:42:14 »
I'm looking at getting a rotavator. I have 1.5 acres of what is currently grass and weeds that I want to prepare for growing so I'm hoping to find one that can make easy work of this.

Below is a link to one of the rotavators I have been considering, any ideas as to whether it would be up to the task? Also anyone know how long it's likely to take to rotavate that much land?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-6-5HP-Petrol-Rotovator-Tiller-Cultivator-Rotavator_W0QQitemZ310092512114QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Home_Garden_GardenPowerTools_CA?hash=item310092512114&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A4%7C65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
Re: Rotavator
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 20:44:59 »
Hi grogan,
I have been interested in getting a machinery/maintenance slot for allotment users on this site. It's a personal interest of mine as I have a garage full of rotovators.
Seriously though, if you want to deal with 1.5 acres, you should get a local farmer to plough the ground NOW. You would need a Howard Gem as a MINIMUM to deal with it for the future.
Good luck!
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

springs

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 21:49:49 »
Hi Grogan. Have a look at the Ferguson wed site at www.fofh.co.uk.
Not as expensive as you think.  Work out cheaper than a lot of rotavators
Mine is a 1950 so no mot or road tax ins fully com 40 pounds.

grogan197

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 23:01:44 »
Thanks for your replies. I'll see if I can find a local farmer willing to plough it for me and then try and work out what I want to get from there. A tractor sounds like a good idea, just not too sure if I can afford one just yet though. Maybe i'll just work with as much land as I can rotavate until I can save enough for a tractor.

spinny

• Not So New ...
    • Perennial Veg
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 23:55:08 »
If I were you, I wouldn't even consider trying to get it all under cultivation in one go, but only as much as you can deal with comfortably...
I've replied on your other thread about brambles - they have to be your first priority but once they're out, you only need to keep the rest of it tidy and you should be able to pick up an autoscythe attachment for the rotovator that you describe with no problem at all, that would keep it all in order.....

Good luck......

Spinny

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 10:12:18 »
If you have a heavy clay soil i wouldn't hurry out and have it ploughed as that would just put the heavy clay on the top and any topsoil unreachable. If you don't have heavy clay then ploughing it first is a good idea.

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 10:23:06 »
Grogan, I've just posted over on 'Bargains' check out "260314283015" on e-bay nice machine, I think you willfind the one you have been looking at is a Chino import,

shaun01

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 19:42:58 »
very ggod
You can bury a lot of troubles digging in the dirt.

grogan197

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 23:27:38 »
Thanks for the replies, some very helpful advice.

I have decided to just work quite a small piece of the land this year as have so far been focusing on the clearance work and not done much with the land.

I have started turning over some of the turf to get the grass buried under a bit of mud so hoping it'll be ok to get some seeds sown in a month or two!

the-goodlife

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 10:38:35 »
i agree with telboy,being a farmer boy myself, get it ploughed over now!!.
i would then look at purchasing a small tractor with a rearmount rotovator then look at other attachments like a small plough, potato ridger etc. keep an eye open for any local farm sales in an estate agents for future ref of course!!.

The beast on the auction site will do the job may take you a week with 1.5 acres as you will need 3 or 4 passes over the ground at least
today i will be growin veg

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 11:38:55 »
i agree with getting it ploughed now when i got my lottie it was march and i got a freind to plough it, i then left for around 2 weeks and the rotavated it over, i was weeding couch out all summer but i had a plot that i could take full advantage off and grew everything that i wanted and got the most out of season.

I have a howard 350 rotavator for which i have the plough attachment, furrower,scarifier and numerous attachments its a real work horse and i would not be without it especialy when it comes to digging the manure and making furrows for pots. ;D
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal