Author Topic: Never done this Before  (Read 979 times)

nikki75

Never done this Before
« on: February 03, 2009, 19:25:54 »
hi there,
we live in an east highland village in the north of scotland and are looking to start an allotment in our garden. the area chosen is where the sun will shine most of the day (when its out) and quite well sheltered.  do we need to lift the turf before digging or can we just rotavate the area.  also what prep do we need to do and what veggies are best grown in this area?  any advice welcome.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Never done this Before
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 20:13:35 »
Welcome to the site Nikki, I would dig over the intended area with a spade... putting the spit (spadeful) back grass=side down... you might find that there isn't enough soil depth to rotovate...  :-\

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 20:21:26 »
hiya, Nikki, nice to meet you  ;D
I'll bet it's a bit too cold to dig there at the mo  :)
if you're having beds, mark them out so's you don't walk on your growing area..as saddad says, turn the turf over, maybe add some soil on top?

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 20:23:42 »
If it lacks depth you can put a 3 or 4" wooden border round and top up with soil to make a raised bed...  :-\

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 20:33:56 »
I really am getting hacked off.  Twice I've tried to reply on this thread.  Both times my posts had been overtaken by subsequent posts.

The bit that really pisses me off is that I cannot retrieve the posts I had originally tried to post, and cannot be of any help to nikki.

valmarg

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 20:38:07 »
Sorry for my rant, and welcome to the site nikki75.

I hope I will be allowed to be more helpful in future. ;D ;D

valmarg

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 21:01:58 »
Wecome Nikki as Saddad said, how much area have you to grow in, spuds are always a good starter but take up a fair bit of room, shallots and onions from sets are due to go in the next few weeks weather and soil permitting.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

nikki75

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 21:16:04 »
thank you all for your posts, sorry to hear you couldn't post valmarg - hopefully next time as i know i will be asking lots of questions. 
thank you all for the warm welcome to the site.  be back soon no doubt with updates, and if i can post pictures then piccies as well.
thanks again
hugs
nikkix

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal