Author Topic: Tough toms!!  (Read 1545 times)

Gardengirl

• Hectare
Tough toms!!
« on: September 03, 2004, 09:57:53 »
This year I have grown Moneymaker (not to everyone's liking I know ;))  The thing is, they are a beautiful flavour, but the skins are very tough.  Is this due to something I have been doing wrong ???  Grew some of them in growbags, some in large pots and some in ground - fed and watered regularly - or is this just typical of the variety.

Pat
Happy gardening all...........Pat

Granny_Smith

• Half Acre
  • Of course its me - who else could look like this ?
Re:Tough toms!!
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2004, 12:04:16 »
I grew some Moneymaker this year but found them too bland in flavour to use with salad. So, I pick them and fry them in butter and have with the bacon, eggs and fried bread for brekkie. Yummmmm.
Granny is still your best friend !

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2004, 12:31:27 »
I may be wrong, but I think this is one of the things some peeps don't like about money maker toms.  I don't believe you are doing anything wrong to make the skins tough.

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2004, 12:33:54 »
Thanks girls  :)  So do I take it that Moneymaker always have tough skins :(  Oh well - I'll try another variety next year :)

Pat
Happy gardening all...........Pat

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2004, 13:26:49 »
That won't guarantee a tender skin. It can happen to all types. But it's no problem to skin them before use.

As to flavour, I find that at least one out of three lack flavour. From the same plant. So, when you give some away, give plenty! = Tim

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal