Author Topic: not a gardening tip  (Read 2749 times)

ACE

• Hectare
not a gardening tip
« on: January 30, 2009, 14:28:41 »
But one worth mentioning.

If you have a sat nav. don't put your post code in the home bit. Cars are getting robbed at all day events and then as they know you are there, they do your house as well.

Put the post code of your local police station then when they follow the directions they get a shock. After all you don't need to know your exact way home just a general pointer.

This is information just for sat nav owners, if you are an old fashioned smug map reader do not clog up the thread with useless information.

betula

• Hectare
Re: not a gardening tip
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 15:04:19 »
I have also read that when you leave the car,wipe off the circular mark left on the window.This tells them there is one inside the car. :)

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 18:14:48 »
Like the police station postcode idea, Ace.  ;D

Betula, it's worth wiping the mark off even if you don't leave the satnav in the car.
A mate of ours, being sensible, remembered to pop his satnav into his bag as he left his car. Got back 20 mins later to find the door lock forced and the car's contents mostly on the ground. He blames himself for leaving the telltale ring mark on the windscreen. As he said, 'the satnav was obviously more worth nicking than the car.'

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 18:34:07 »
On Monday night I was wakened twice and got up twice because a car alarm was going off.  I checked my car and near neighbours' cars - the outside security lights weren't on and I couldn't see a car with hazard lights flashing.  So I went back to bed.  Tuesday morning the Police knocked at the door - the window on a neighbour's car had been smashed and the sat nav stolen.  The sat nav hadn't been left on the dashboard, my neighbours had 'hidden' it in the car but they'd left the caddy on the dashboard!

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 21:41:05 »
if your handbag gets nicked, with keys in it, say at a festival or alton towers, etc. they use the remote on the keys to find the car in the car park(wave it in the air 'til the car unlocks and the lights flash), sat nav set to home, takes them there, house keys get them indoors!! be aware!! ;)
You couldn't make it up!

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 12:22:45 »
Told my Oh this and he askedhow they wouldknow which house is yours asthe postcode only identifies the street.

A friend of his left her new 18 grand car outside with the keys in and engine running to defrost last week. It got nicked and is not insuredbaceause she left the keys in.Another lesson!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 13:12:24 »
Told my Oh this and he askedhow they wouldknow which house is yours as the postcode only identifies the street.

Mine is postcode to postcode. only 3 other houses in the road have the same as me. But still a good tip even if you refuse to believe it.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal