Author Topic: Harvesting Garlic  (Read 1560 times)

simhop

• Quarter Acre
Harvesting Garlic
« on: September 02, 2004, 19:57:03 »
I have just taken up my onions from the vege patch and have a nice big space that I thought I could use for garlic that we have had delivered at the garden centre. The instructions say that they should be planted in August/September but nothing on when they will be ready for harvest. I don't want to use ground that will delay my growing next year - also I am not convinced they can grow over the winter that we have here, it goes down to -18 and usually about a meter of snow over the vege plot - what do you thik?>

oubykh

• Half Acre
Re:Harvesting Garlic
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2004, 22:53:41 »
I'm not sure i would plant them in the same place as onions have been, just because of the risk of disease. Whilst it is the cold snap that forces the garlic to form bulbs i'm not sure about -18! perhaps someone else can answer that one. good luck

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2004, 23:47:04 »
We get winter temperatures exceeding -30C (snow cover is generally reliable but not consistent- remember that snow is an insulator and will help preserve the plants). By selecting cultivars suitable to this climate we get (commercially) reliable crops of garlic. Presumably your local garden centre will have varieties suitable for your climate. Harvest will not occur until mid summer but garlic doesn't have to take up a lot of space. Just don't put it where you had onions or leeks!

simhop

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2004, 17:11:43 »
Thanks both for you help - will give it a go this year.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal