Author Topic: This mornings Breakfast..  (Read 1950 times)

adamhill100

• Half Acre
This mornings Breakfast..
« on: September 02, 2004, 19:54:46 »
Misses picked me up from the station after a long nightshift and we stopped quickly up the lottie..  Picked 2 nice sized cucumber, 1 courgette some ripe toms... So had 2 fried eggs, fried courgette slices & fresh chopped toms and cucumber! Blooming lovely.!  I am really going to miss this come winter,...

Same again tomorrow me thinks.. :P  

P.s My cucumbers have a real prickly skin and need scutting off but lovely taste inside.. Is this a trait of outdoor cucumbers..?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2004, 19:54:59 by adamhill100 »

Macca

• Quarter Acre
  • Fork it!
Re:This mornings Breakfast..
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2004, 20:12:37 »
adam,

i've grown cucumbers (American straight 8's)for the first time this year, indoors in my conservatory, they have prickles aswell. Maybe it's common in most varieties?

adamhill100

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2004, 20:18:54 »
Macca,  Cheers for that!  Its not a real problem its just that I am used to shop bought which always have smooth skins.. Mine are better but then I would say that..

Ads

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2004, 09:42:45 »
I think it's the variety, my Telegraph have the odd prickle, the all female don't. My wife thinks they taste better too  ;)

Jeremy.

I must try some outdoor ones -my indoors struggle, I only just about get enough to keep us going.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2004, 13:18:11 »
Even indoor/outdoor ones do that. 'Scotchbrite' takes the prickles off. Nothing wrong with the flavour of outdoor types - just the way they are grown?? = Tim

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2004, 13:26:33 »
Im trying 'Marketmore' not a prickle in sight. ;D
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

JerryB

• Quarter Acre
  • I LOVE WEEDOL!!!!
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2004, 15:06:12 »
Mimi - i have grown two 'Marketmore' plants which i 'rescued' for 20p each from outside a newsagent in town (too much info but hey.....) My one plant has produced 34 cu's of about 9" long each but they did have prickles (i am led to believe that the horticultural term for the prickles is 'burps' - hence the 'burpless' varieties etc!) - anyway, they taste lovely and i have had fantastic crop but mine definately have prickles on them - think i may have not grown Marketmore now and the young lad who sold them to me might not have known his Marketmore from his Marrow! But what the hell, they grew fantastically well and they tasted scrummy!!!!! Will try and get a photo of one for comparison!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2004, 15:07:38 by JerryB »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal