Author Topic: Allen Park, Bedford - Does the allotment fairy really exist???  (Read 7882 times)

70fingers

• Half Acre
Ok, we have two plots in Bedford - one in Marlborough Park (Kempston) and the other Allen Park allotment site.

We have mostly been spending our time on the Marlborough Park allotments because it was easier to dig and get started. We had somewhat neglected the Allen Park plot until last Sunday when I had this burning desire to go and have a look at how overgrown it had become. As we parked up I was telling Jane how I was not looking forward to digging the plot as my back was still giving me problems. We went through the gates and was walking down the path towards the plot and we could see this bright green handle sticking out the ground on our plot.

Well, can you believe it someone had left one of those Wolf terrex autospade thingys. It was really odd as all the plots around us are well kept and dont seem to have had any recent digging and we are near the back of the site. Jane said the allotment fairy had left it for me!! Does the allotment fairy really exist??? 

Well I have had a go with the autospade and I was able to do alot of digging in just a few hours, I found it really helpful. So we packed everything up and left it where we had found it just in case it was left on our plot by accident. Been back to the plot on a number of occasions this week and it is still there and have made good use of the spade.  Just find it bit odd that someone has left quite an expensive tool on our plot, but thank you who ever it is - fairys included, just waiting now for some of my teeth to fall out just in case I can get a couple of quid for them!  ;D

betula

• Hectare
Re: Allen Park, Bedford - Does the allotment fairy really exist???
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 17:42:14 »
Maybe somebody was giving you a big hint about allowing your plot to get so overgrown. :)

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 18:01:20 »
thats a pretty expensive hint.

70fingers

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 18:05:33 »
It is!
 My intention was to remove the guilt I have been carrying around by actually tidying the plot ! Now I am laying awake at night feeling guilty about who's spade it is!!! ;D
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 18:08:44 by 70fingers »

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 18:12:30 »
Strange people on allotments....get up to all sorts ;D

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 20:38:51 »
The incentives folk will use to get others to tidy their plot knows no bounds!! ;D ;D
You couldn't make it up!

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 23:00:47 »
Waste not want not.  You have put it to goods use.  As you have looked for its owner just continue to use it until somebody requests it back if nobody else has claimed it.  Shame to let a good tool like that go to waste...
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 15:56:31 »
After reading this post I was going to reply but Betula beat me to it more or less word for word, maybe you can look for the second worse kept plot and leave it there for them to have a go.  ;D ;D ;D   
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2009, 16:07:02 »
Knowing the world of allotments as I do, the most obvious explanation is that your plot has been given to someone else who will now be puzzled about who has dug some of it  ;D

Actually that's not as daft as it sounds. I'd check in case someone thinks they've got your plot.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2009, 16:20:47 »
I agree ,that would not surprise me ;D

Lady of the Land

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2009, 06:20:27 »
I had similar problem although was not left a spade. Previous occupant showed me what plot he had and council told me I was taking his plot over. Dug the allotment and found someone else was allocated the plot- Council had this man down as having plot next door.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2009, 09:23:34 »
Even if someone else has been given the plot in error fancy leaving a lovely piece of kit like that about :o If that was our site it wouldn't have been there for very long......
Smile, it confuses people.

70fingers

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2009, 10:59:14 »
Knowing the world of allotments as I do, the most obvious explanation is that your plot has been given to someone else who will now be puzzled about who has dug some of it 

Actually that's not as daft as it sounds. I'd check in case someone thinks they've got your plot.

I tried to ring the council yesterday to check, but the chap was on annual leave until Monday.  :-\

Spent alot of time down there this week clearing the plot and digging over, fingers crossed I still have the plot otherwise someone has a good start. ;D Will check on Monday :)

littlebabybird

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2009, 00:31:33 »
if its council dont they have to give notice?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal