Author Topic: asparagus  (Read 829 times)

the-goodlife

• Quarter Acre
asparagus
« on: January 29, 2009, 14:35:50 »
need help on this, i have made an asparagus bed dug it out a little but im a bit unsure on what to put back in with the soil i have got loads of muck ready to go in but should i mix anything else in too :-\. my roots are year olds in sand in my warm green house ready for planting.
today i will be growin veg

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
Re: asparagus
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 14:53:53 »
You've got the time, so put in some Hoof & Horn, and some seaweed (unwashed, if you can get it) also add sharp sand for drainage, (if your soil needs it) ;)
You couldn't make it up!

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 15:34:18 »
The important thing about an asparagus bed is that it's going to stay put for at least twenty-five years. All you're going to do from now on is top-dress and hand-weed. So get the drainage right and add goodness to the soil now. And - most important of all - get rid of all deep-rooted perennial weeds. You don't want to be trying to prise docks & thistles - or, even worse, comfrey - out of an established asparagus bed.

I double-dug my beds - proper double-digging, with the entire top spit removed & barrowed off and the spit below bastard-trenched - and added barrowloads of stable manure, plus sharp sand in the top spit as it was replaced. It was hard work, but that was about six years ago and all we have to do now is to pull out a few annual weeds by hand.

grotbag

• Hectare
  • granddaughter(miya) in Christchurch,Dorset
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 15:48:18 »
and make sure you plant them the right  way up ( had a person on here who planted them upside down ) ;D

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 18:46:54 »
Do as Trevor says - we've had ours six years and there are so few weeds in the bed now that it takes about 5 minutes to weed - and I only have to do that about twice a year!
The Tuscan Beaneater

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal