Author Topic: Fruit trees in Lidl  (Read 12502 times)

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
Fruit trees in Lidl
« on: January 29, 2009, 12:55:06 »
Just got my Lidl email - fruit trees are due in on Feb 5th in our local store - Joanagold, Cox's orange pippen, Bramley, Stella cherry, Beurre hardy pear, Conference pear, Victoria plum and Opal plum - all £3.99.
Just wish I had more space.
Haven't grown Lidl fruit trees, but my Aldi plum and cherry are doing well.

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
Re: Fruit trees in Lidl
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 14:07:10 »
Just wish I had more space.

Can you find room up against a wall or fence?
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

Psi (Pronounced 'Si'!)

• Acre
  • Welcome to the jungle!
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 14:12:09 »
does anyone know if these are on a dwarf rootstock?

thanks.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 14:35:58 »
we bought a nectarine last year, definitely not dwarf rootstock but we just 'top' it to where we want it  :)

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 14:57:13 »
There is also a  cordless iron I fancy as well.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 16:51:26 »
Lidl fruit trees are not on dwarf rootstock, but can easily be trained as cordons. My plot has a nice screen made of criss cross Lidl fruit trees, cost me under £40 for the lot. Great fruit off it last year! :o
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 17:05:56 »
Joanagold, Bramley, Beurre hardy pear, Victoria plum and Opal plum.

These are on my shopping list for my visit and i will pot them up for the new place. I just need to check the polination for them. I will be taking my asian pear with me and i have 3 other apple trees to replace as these are not going to come with us.

samela

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 16:00:14 »
Hi All,

Been to Lidl today to get my trees.  Was expecting tiny little things but they were huge!  taller than me!   ;D 

Gobby

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 19:06:15 »
Picked my pear tree's up today, wasnt expecting them to be that big, so very pleasently suprised.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 19:42:02 »
Can they go in large containers for now. ATM we have a 52' plot & 16' are taken up with fruit. If we can prove our commitment we may be offered a bigger plot or another 1/2 si I would like to pot them up for now. If I can I assume it would be J.I. no3 or could I get away with MP.
Thanks.
Janet.

Psi (Pronounced 'Si'!)

• Acre
  • Welcome to the jungle!
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 20:04:23 »
Got mine today - yes, big things - about 6ft and look really really healthy specimens.  Cherry, pear and the 2 types of plum - should be good but got to find the right spot now!  Bit worried that they are not on dwarf rootstock but I am told they are manageable in cordons.  Now I need to learn about growing as cordons!  Could be a perfect screen/fence if it works!  I am confident!  All advice on cordons welcome though.....or is this another thread????  :P

Psi

taurus

• Hectare
  • Swindon, Wiltshire
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2009, 20:10:22 »
 ;D ;D  Lidl 1 apple, 2 plum, 2 pear bought with some of my xmas money. Must thank my very thoughtful stepdaughter.
 ::) ::) then on to Aldi bought 12 mixed fruit bushes for under a tenner. Happy bunny or what ;D ;D

Gobby

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2009, 08:07:59 »
Did you spot any blueberry bushes at the Aldi store?

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2009, 11:25:26 »
Got mine today - yes, big things - about 6ft and look really really healthy specimens.  Cherry, pear and the 2 types of plum - should be good but got to find the right spot now!  Bit worried that they are not on dwarf rootstock but I am told they are manageable in cordons.  Now I need to learn about growing as cordons!  Could be a perfect screen/fence if it works!  I am confident!  All advice on cordons welcome though.....or is this another thread????  :P

Psi

There are quite a few threads on how to prune cordons, I tried to find the link where I had posted a photo of my Lidl trees which are trained as criss cross cordons, but as I've rearranged my photo book, none of the images are showing now! Hang on I'll try and post it from my other book..........
Found them, hope it works...

Close up of the fruit last year, these trees were planted in late Feb 2007.

If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2009, 21:37:16 »
I wanted to get the buerre hardy pear tree from lidls but the pollination looks as though it could be a problem. On another site it names all sorts of obscure pears that are suitable. Any thoughts please.
Janet.

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2009, 09:25:23 »
Can ya grow plums as a cordons. ???

Psi (Pronounced 'Si'!)

• Acre
  • Welcome to the jungle!
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2009, 09:38:41 »
thanks Deb P - the cordons look fab - congrats.  I need to read up but the fruit is impressive for the first year!! WOW! Gives me hope.  I'm going to plan where to put things and then plant when this cold snap passes - hopefully we will have fruit late summer!

Thanks!

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2009, 12:39:15 »

I'd love to know the answer to that....or cherries? I really fancy trying to do cherry or plum cordons, but would the pruning be the same?

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2009, 13:01:43 »

I'd love to know the answer to that....or cherries? I really fancy trying to do cherry or plum cordons, but would the pruning be the same?

Right, attempted to answer my own question, it seems you can try plums and cherries as cordons, good RHS advice on this link..
http://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/documents/FruitGroupNewsletter0505.pdf

thespade08

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2009, 13:30:53 »
Went to Lidl this morning and bought 4 apple tree,s  ;D....cannot get them in the ground at the moment
due to the garden being covered in about 5 inches of snow  >:(.
Any ideas on what i should do with them?? do i leave them in the packaging and leave them outside??
I came,isaw,I ran

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal