Author Topic: SNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 23575 times)

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
Re: SNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #120 on: February 02, 2009, 12:37:33 »
This is what my plot looked like earlier this morning!

http://flightplot.wordpress.com/2009/02/02/plot-white-2/
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #121 on: February 02, 2009, 12:38:59 »

we are not yer usual southern jessies here in the East!! ;)

I did hear that you were norfolk an good ;)

Busy Bee

• Quarter Acre
  • Bexhill On Sea East Sussex
« Reply #122 on: February 02, 2009, 12:47:55 »
Loads of snow here in Bexhill On Sea. We never  normally get so much. We haven't gone to work or college today and maybe not tomorrow :) :) :). I love the snow , at least whilst i'm sitting inside in the warm lol.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #123 on: February 02, 2009, 12:49:00 »
It's lovely here now- sunny and snowy! Had a nice walk down to town & back without getting snowed on, and just had an email from work saying they are not opening tomorrow.  :D

mat

• Hectare
  • Ryedale, North Yorks. Sandy loam, over sandstone
« Reply #124 on: February 02, 2009, 12:59:08 »
Amazing the diff between Tadcater and 16 miles NE of York... heavy snow again at the moment!!! Yet more - yippeeee (okay, I am on the edge of the Howardian hills, so I do tend to get a bit more than the flat York plain)

What frustrates me though is that we had far more before Christmas, plus temperature lower than -8... did that make the news? no.  because this has come to London this time, its in the news everwhere!!!

I have had a flu type bug for 4 weeks, and am still stuck in bed... Otherwise I'd have loved to be walking in the hills from my house - grrrrrrr

Ace - very well written and amusing.

mat

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #125 on: February 02, 2009, 13:02:48 »
snowing heavy again here in east anglia looks like were on about 3-4 inches and its zero so i think were in this for a day or so. My dad in london is a bus driver and he fought his way in for 6am and has been sitting in the garage ever since :( He only fell off his bike once !!

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #126 on: February 02, 2009, 13:10:24 »
Well this southern jessie woke up to four inches  :o and still made he's way to work on foot while all around him stood still, London transport said it was too dangerous for the buses to run, the posties were sent home ( lazy gits), trains were running late and probably now been cancelled, schools closed so OH had to take the day off, the underground has gone to pot, flights cancelled, one bloke on the news has summed it up its like a third world country, still on the bright side Boris has cancelled the congestion charge for the day, hoo bloody raa.  :(    ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #127 on: February 02, 2009, 13:29:37 »
I've braved it outside twice.  First to the Chemist which was closed because the Pharmacist hadn't arrived  :( and then into the garden to take a few pics.  (Click on the picture to start the slide show.)

My cat is refusing to go out and keeps giving me accusing looks.  Like it's my fault!   ::)

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #128 on: February 02, 2009, 13:31:53 »
Amazing the diff between Tadcaster and 16 miles NE of York... heavy snow again at the moment!!! Yet more - yippeeee (okay, I am on the edge of the Howardian hills, so I do tend to get a bit more than the flat York plain)

Yes,it's quite an event when we get real snow here! We hardly got any before Christmas. Whereabouts are you-we love the Howardian Hills- pretty without being too steep!

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #129 on: February 02, 2009, 13:33:13 »
one bloke on the news has summed it up its like a third world country,

cannot stand statements like these and what does the inhabitants of this country know about how developing countries that experience winter weather deal with it, sheesh!!!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #130 on: February 02, 2009, 13:33:52 »
 I took her in this morning.  Well no point 2 of us losing a days wages. I suppose she will ring up later and want a lift home. We only had 1/2 an inch but it gave me a chance of using 4 wheel drive ;D. No point gritting over here, it will be gone in a couple of hours.

This snow does have its uses as I have now found out where the bunnies get in the garden with their tracks. Guess what I have got for dinner tomorrow.

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #131 on: February 02, 2009, 13:34:54 »
What frustrates me though is that we had far more before Christmas, plus temperature lower than -8... did that make the news? no.  because this has come to London this time, its in the news everwhere!!!

mat

Mat, that's because the northern half of the UK is used to yearly heavy snow falls whereas London et al is not.  It's headless chicken territory when anything more than half an inch of snow falls here in Essex.  It's just ridiculous.  What frustrates me more is how this snow has been forecast for the past 4-5 days and still the buses/trains/schools/work come to a standstill.  There's no excuse for it.

Still snowing here in W. Essex and I love it! I cleared the path outside of my office about an hour ago and it's covered again already  ;D ;D

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #132 on: February 02, 2009, 13:41:28 »
Both on the today programme and World at one I heard someone from the Highways agency saying that they had managed to keep most of the main roads clear (which is certainly the case around here) and that delays were due to drivers not taking care and having minor accidents which then block the roads.

The interviewers in both cases seemed to ignore this and went on the attack again,saying "you had plenty of warning". Yes they did and they did a good job- it's not their fault if drivers don't know how to drive in snow! They can't win,can they?

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #133 on: February 02, 2009, 14:23:18 »
I did hear that you were norfolk an good ;)
   ;D ;D ;D

This snow does have its uses as I have now found out where the bunnies get in the garden with their tracks. Guess what I have got for dinner tomorrow.
Watership down Pie??  ;D ;D ;D
You couldn't make it up!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #134 on: February 02, 2009, 14:53:59 »
You can't blame anybody really. Who wants a snowplough/gritting lorry paid for from your council tax. I think we can all think of better ways to spend the money. Other countries get by because they get the use of their equipment for far longer and on more occasions. If you needed to be somewhere important today, you should have cancelled your meetings last friday, You knew it was coming. Also whats wrong with working from home via the internet, just like I am supposed to be doing ;D.

I have really got quite a bit sorted today. I have researched £900 worth of plant plugs, £1000 worth of potted roses and still managed a bit of free time on here.

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
« Reply #135 on: February 02, 2009, 15:10:16 »
....  I cleared the path outside of my office about an hour ago and it's covered again already  ;D ;D

In a nutshell, that's exactly why (for once) I don't think it's fair to blame the London councils, highways agency or Boris.

The gritters were out from yesterday afternoon, gritting all the main roads. And they haven't stopped (one passed me as I was hiking down my high street and what's more, it had a crew on foot with it, spreading shovelfuls of grit on the pavements. Now that's a first - and I'm so grateful.  :)
So the grit's there -- it's just buried under 5-inches-plus of snow which fell right through the night, like your cleared pathway.
What else could they have done? For snow like this, you need snowploughs. If you live in Cumbria or Scotland, that's a worthwhile council-tax expense. But this is the first meaningful snow we've had in London since Jan/Feb 2003 - and "the worst in 18 years", according to the Met Office. Being forewarned isn't always enough, I guess.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #136 on: February 02, 2009, 15:20:02 »
My husband set off at 7.00 and drove to Leicester (100 miles)- didn't takeany longer than usualbecause although the traffic was slower,there was less of it. Peopleliving half an hour fromthe office rang in saying they couldn't get there, and at 12.00 those who were there were told to go home so he wasback here at 2.15. The course he was supposed to be delivering in Birmingham tomorrow has been cancelled.  ::) so now we've both got an extra day off tomorrow. :D

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #137 on: February 02, 2009, 22:20:53 »
Well it started here at about 7ish and isn't showing any signs of stopping.  Got couple of cm's which isn't much but for down here it's a miracle!  Dog never seen it before, so naturally started barking, growling and generally causing much hilarity - other one sat there, stared at it a bit, looked thicker than usual and went to eat his dinner  ;D
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #138 on: February 03, 2009, 09:28:22 »
Well,we didn't get the downfalls that were forecast last night, only wet stuff, so school's open again today. but driving my daughter there this morning wasn't much fun, stilllots of snow & ice on local roads. It's sunny now so hoping that will melt the remaining snow before it freezes again tonight.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #139 on: February 03, 2009, 11:29:23 »
After quite a significant thaw yesterday afternoon, the smow came back again last night and replaced what had thawed away. This morning woke to a nice covering so dashed out and took some photos. Then the sun came out and it began to thaw again. Snowing again now though and still bitterly cold.

last night during and just after the snow was quite eerie. the local area was so quiet, no passing traffic or any sound of human activity at all. Now even at the quietest of times there is usually some noise from passing traffic but last night nothing. its strange the effects snow can have.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal