Author Topic: CHICKENS,HUGH AND TESCO TOO  (Read 15423 times)

pippy

• Acre
  • North Notts Allotments!
Re: CHICKENS,HUGH AND TESCO TOO
« Reply #60 on: January 29, 2009, 16:20:34 »
I think the other thing which is often overlooked is how difficult it is to "shop around" and be fussy if you have small children and no car.  Yes, there are delivery options but these do have penalties of minimum amounts or charges and you often get produce you wouldn't have chosen, e.g the pack with a broken carrot, green celery, close to sell by date.  The petrol to get about comes into it too. 

Then there are the skills to strech food cleverly into the 3 meals, and for all the others.

The sad thing is, previous generations did just that - there were no cheap offers or mass produced cheap options.  We have a long road to re-learn those skills!
Leave only footprints, take only photographs ....

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #61 on: January 29, 2009, 16:25:14 »
And there is also the problem for people who work long hours in that getting to local shops is a non starter as they aren't open when I'm not in work.  Weekends are precious so we try not to spend them shopping - that gets done by one or other of us on the way home of an evening.

Yes I know we then have the choice of what to buy, but not often where.
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

les65

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #62 on: January 29, 2009, 16:34:06 »

The sad thing is, previous generations did just that - there were no cheap offers or mass produced cheap options.  We have a long road to re-learn those skills!

This is so true

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #63 on: January 29, 2009, 16:39:50 »
As Betula has said it is mainly down to education. 

Ace you are not eating baby chickens when you eat eggs you know!  There are no cockerells in the battery farms - equally there are very few around many off the farms.   Chickens are mass produced on farms where "fertile" eggs are hatched.  The ones that my chickens produce do not have baby chickens in!

So thats natural is it? Most birds lay eggs and then hatch them. They do not lay eggs day after day, even if they are free range. But that is not classed as cruel when we thieve them every day. Yet keeping a load of birds in the warm, plenty of feed, no stress, no foxes is frowned upon, well it never used to be until Hugh and Co started gobbing off.

Chickens are thick, I used to keep them, I would go out with a handful of corn shouting WHO WANTS TO DIE TODAY. They all came running up to me, I would grab one and wring its neck, the rest would go on eating. I would keep on repeating this every time I wanted a bird to eat. They never learnt.

If I moved their ark across my plot, they would not be able to find it, even if they could see it. So I do not believe it affects them at all being farmed intensively for the table. It affects your concience,not mine, so dig deep in your pocket and feel good. Don't shout on about taste everything 'tastes like chicken' I like it bland so I get the taste of the sauce it is the host to.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #64 on: January 29, 2009, 16:44:29 »
It all makes very interesting reading, I am enjoying this thread and the differences of opinion, and what is refreshing, it hasn't turned into insults and mudslinging.  ;D

I was chatting to mum about this issue - she is a country girl from Devon, spent her childhood in Africa and then back in Devon until her teens.  Our family in the west country have always farmed and the funny thing is, they won't eat their chooks because they roam free and eat any old crud from nuts and bolts to pecking over dead animals, and they really are free range chickens.  I also know someone who keeps ducks and chook and he won't eat their eggs again, because he knows the sort of things his free range birds eat whilst out roaming around the garden.

My earlier comment about being made to feel guilty wasn't pointed at you thifasmom, I was talking about the royal we if you like, just suggesting that the press and media do at times try to make the public feel guilty over eating mass produced food, wasting the worlds resources etc.  I personally am at the stage in my life that I can no longer be made to feel guilty, or suffer peer pressure to 'do the right thing', I have enough to deal with trying to look after my nearest and dearest and make ends meet.  I am educated on where my food comes from, see farming background, and have been in many abattoires, seen animals killed, killed my own sometimes and am perfectly happy with my choices.

les65

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #65 on: January 29, 2009, 16:44:35 »
And there is also the problem for people who work long hours in that getting to local shops is a non starter as they aren't open when I'm not in work.  Weekends are precious so we try not to spend them shopping - that gets done by one or other of us on the way home of an evening.

Yes I know we then have the choice of what to buy, but not often where.

so you choose not to shop at the weekend, but you could. its making that change.

the whole point of hfw show was to show people who are ignorant of the way 3 for a tenner chicks are raised so they can make an informed choice, if you choose not to because of whatever, cost, time, then thats your choice, good luck to you. how many who moan about the extra cost, smoke, drink, go to the pub, nightclub, buy designer clothes.
the biggest problem is people have come to rely on the meal in a box and that has stpped them knowing the value of food.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #66 on: January 29, 2009, 17:12:21 »

the whole point of hfw show was to show people who are ignorant of the way 3 for a tenner chicks are raised so they can make an informed choice,

WRONG! He wants the supermarkets to stop stocking cheap factory chickens. Which takes our choice away.

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #67 on: January 29, 2009, 17:15:20 »
It all makes very interesting reading, I am enjoying this thread and the differences of opinion, and what is refreshing, it hasn't turned into insults and mudslinging.  ;D

gotta agree :D, its the only reason i have continued posting.

My earlier comment about being made to feel guilty wasn't pointed at you thifasmom, I was talking about the royal we if you like, just suggesting that the press and media do at times try to make the public feel guilty over eating mass produced food, wasting the worlds resources etc.  I personally am at the stage in my life that I can no longer be made to feel guilty, or suffer peer pressure to 'do the right thing', I have enough to deal with trying to look after my nearest and dearest and make ends meet.  I am educated on where my food comes from, see farming background, and have been in many abattoires, seen animals killed, killed my own sometimes and am perfectly happy with my choices.

i'm happy you weren't being rubbed the wrong way :).

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2009, 17:25:23 »
ACE..............Do not see the relevance of chickens being thick...........so what?? ::)

Do you expect them to understand the English language.............as you well know you were their food source.that is why they run to you.

I will always dig deep in my pocket for quality food.

I suppose I am lucky,I have a mother who taught me how to budget and get the most from my food.

I think we have talked about people not being taught the skills that choosing
and preparing good food needs.

I think the supermarket bought the end to a lot of that.

No argument could convince me that inhumane treatment is worth it.

I love meat and am finding it hard to resist but I have made the decision to opt out.Just trying to cook now in a way that I can still enjoy my food.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #69 on: January 29, 2009, 17:53:55 »
ACE..............Do not see the relevance of chickens being thick...........so what

My point is they do not know they are supposedly being ill treated

Who has decreed this is inhumane. Who is suffering? Open the shed doors, see how many birds will fly out. They won't, they are nice and comfortable.

There are too many people on this planet to feed with traditional farming practices. If you feel sorry for these animals that are factory farmed stop eating meat, but don't expect people like me to get caught up in the frenzy. I would be more inclined to agree with  this argument if it was a scientific  survey and not the whim of a tv chef and a television company watching its ratings.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #70 on: January 29, 2009, 18:06:04 »
I have decreed it inhumane,and so have a lot of other people. :)

Do not need a scientific survey to see what is in front of me eyes.

Maybe the reason you lather the chicken in sauce is cus you ain't to keen on the taste of the chicken your eating :-\

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #71 on: January 29, 2009, 20:19:24 »
the folk who want to eat crap, let them!! ;D ;D ;D it's their choice ;)
You couldn't make it up!

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #72 on: January 29, 2009, 23:17:12 »
Precisley Tony. 

Let them eat chooks at 3 a tenner however they were reared and pumped full of whatever, its up to them.  I just know I get value for money with a free range chicken and get more meat than a Tesco Chicken and far far tastier, so there.

;D

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #73 on: January 29, 2009, 23:23:05 »
Em...................dare I mention Jamie oliver and the pigs tonight

Sharp exit :)

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #74 on: January 29, 2009, 23:28:30 »
Not watched it yet, recorded it because of Victorian Farm.   Was it good?   contraversial ?   loads of swearing?   

;)

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #75 on: January 29, 2009, 23:30:20 »
Em...................dare I mention Jamie oliver and the pigs tonight

Sharp exit :)

hee hee will catch tomorrow.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #76 on: January 29, 2009, 23:33:55 »
Hope Ace did not watch it.........I can imagine him jumping up and down on his flatscreen ;D ;D ;D

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #77 on: January 29, 2009, 23:53:57 »
how many who moan about the extra cost, smoke, drink, go to the pub, nightclub, buy designer clothes.

::)

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #78 on: January 29, 2009, 23:55:27 »
ACE..............Do not see the relevance of chickens being thick...........so what

My point is they do not know they are supposedly being ill treated

Who has decreed this is inhumane. Who is suffering? Open the shed doors, see how many birds will fly out. They won't, they are nice and comfortable.

There are too many people on this planet to feed with traditional farming practices. If you feel sorry for these animals that are factory farmed stop eating meat, but don't expect people like me to get caught up in the frenzy. I would be more inclined to agree with  this argument if it was a scientific  survey and not the whim of a tv chef and a television company watching its ratings.

Agreed.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #79 on: January 29, 2009, 23:58:03 »
I saw them designer slippers you bought from Ikea..........go on ,deny it ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal