Author Topic: PLASTIC BOTTLES ON STICKS/POLES  (Read 17064 times)

spudsmummy

• Half Acre
Re: PLASTIC BOTTLES ON STICKS/POLES
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2009, 09:05:16 »
my allotment has got bright coloured balls on the top of the canes.  i found a load from my sons old ball pool and have cut a slit in them and stuck them on top.
think it look better then the bottles but the birds like my plot more then my neighbours, lol
6.5 rod plot in southampton, just me and my 2yr old son, hehe       

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2009, 10:17:14 »
I use dead snails..........they work a treat and I hope it acts as a warning to the all the others......... ;D
This made me laugh - thanks
I always wondered what the point of snails was - now I know!

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2009, 10:46:53 »
We use loads of different sized bottles. 1 litre tonic bottles wih the bottom cut of for sweetcorn.Fruit shoot bottles and yakult bottles to put on top of the canes both to stop the canes from piercing the netting and more importantly to stop anyone from getting hurt.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2009, 11:47:28 »
my allotment has got bright coloured balls on the top of the canes.  i found a load from my sons old ball pool and have cut a slit in them and stuck them on top.
think it look better then the bottles but the birds like my plot more then my neighbours, lol

That's because the bottles rattle on the canes and make a noise!

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2009, 12:19:05 »
I had a load of used tennis balls. Could probably pick them up for nothing from a local club.

Buster54

• Acre
I'm not the Messiah - I'm a very naughty boy."

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2009, 22:23:45 »
I'm a plassy bottle user, and yes, it does look...'individual', but my grandad had a very nasty accident with a bamboo in they eye, and I have a scar on my cheek from doing the same, so I don't care - it is an allotment and to be honest, the sheds look worse than my bottle toppers.  And I like to think I am doing a little bit of recycling, and some of the other plot holders are now doing the same with the bottles.  They hold the netting up nicely over the brassicas.  I keep meaning to look out for those sacks of ball pit plastic balls at the carbooty, but never see any.

aussiedigger

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2009, 13:27:22 »
I love the acorn shaped ones they work out expensive if you need a lot.  Instead, I use wine corks (mostly Aussie of course!) as I have a plentiful supply .... hmmm, what does that tell you??!!

I save up a tupperware container full and then get OH to drill cane sized holes in the top on his drill press.  He says the 'plastic' ones are the easiest to drill, but this in no way influences my buying - that's usually down to what's on offer at the supermarket.

The corks work well and don't come loose once jammed onto a cane.  They have saved me getting a nasty poke in the eye on more than one occasion.... so cheers! ;D

worldor

• Half Acre
  • A Black Country girl
    • City Chickens
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2009, 15:27:49 »
its not about looks but about keeping off the pigeons and it seems to work too. I too use the actimel bottles or fruit shoot bottles in the lean to to save my eyes.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2009, 17:46:26 »
I'm with EJ and ark at Georgie "craft fair", believe me I've seen her at jumble sales and car boots, "craft fair" she does make me laugh.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D    :-*
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

trickydiggy

• Not So New ...
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2009, 21:33:09 »
Thanks for all the ideas and entertainment you lot. :-*TD

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2009, 21:48:54 »
Defo going to buy those caps. I use bottles at the mo but they can look scrappy and I am fed up with finding plastic everywhere.. check out one of my neighbouring plots!

STEVEB

• Acre
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2009, 23:33:06 »
So thats where bottles go to die !!!! :P
If it ain't broke don't fix it !!

the-goodlife

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2009, 12:57:37 »
The plastic bottles rattle in the wind which helps keep the pigeons away.

Dream on. Where does that idea come from? My pigeons refuse to budge until the smud missiles are launched.

my pigeons too they are a pest, i use wind chimes all over the place and some bottles on canes keeps the moles out too they dont like the noise they make under ground, in fact the field next to us has oil seed rape and the farmer has a gas banger in the field,i walked by yesterday and to my surprise 2 pigeons sat on the barrel of the gun while it went of!!
today i will be growin veg

woodybrown

• Quarter Acre
  • The brat pack
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2009, 14:43:46 »
brilliant idea redclanger i just threw 3 sackfulls away that bloke before me left in shed .Looks like this weekends job is replacing them ,we also have 4 foxes that are our birdscarers and a dummies head but that looks like one of the old boys has keeled over so it might have to go .Kiddies windmills are also a good bird scarer .

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2009, 15:02:57 »
quite often the farmer with the 'gas banger' is not trying to scare birds away, more likely trying to get them used to the bangs! then when the farmer goes shooting, they don't all flock off at the first shot. ;)
You couldn't make it up!

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2009, 15:40:56 »
 I use bottles from fruit-shoots,  shower-gel, washing liquid - just about any of the small ones.  They seem to help a little to keeping birds away with the rattling.  When not in use mine are in a steel mesh container so they do not blow all over the place.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal