Author Topic: Germinating Parsnips  (Read 4031 times)

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
Germinating Parsnips
« on: January 22, 2009, 15:29:09 »
Last year I had a terrible time germinating parsnips. I followed instructions on how to pre germinate on paper towel, I even had them in the airing cupboard. I sowed 4 packets and got a total of 4 parsnips for my efforts.
What I would like to know is...

1. When do you sow yours?
2. Do you pre chit them?
3. Do you sow direct, with good results?
4. When exactly do you start them off?
5. Would I be better off starting them off in loo tubes in a propagator?

Yes I have bought fresh seed for this year again, but only two packets as I'm going succeed this year  :D (With your help).

Thanks in advance
Lauren  :)
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
Re: Germinating Parsnips
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 15:55:54 »
The only reason they do not germinate well in the traditional manner is because the seed is old. You may well buy fresh packets each year but the seed is old. Traditional method of sowing was to put 3-4 seeds together every 4" down the drill and sprinkle radish seed between.

Radishes germinate quickly and mark the rows to enable light weeding while the multiple seeds at each position allowed for a few duds. If more than one parsnip germinates these are thinned to the single strongest or best positioned seedling.

Parsnip seed can be germinated in a pot and transplanted but great skill and care is required not to break or bend the taproot.

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 16:03:20 »
i agree with Eristics method above. i have always done it this way and it seems to work fine, but i do think that you can have good and bad 'snip years.  i wouldnt sow them too early either. i really dont thinkthey need pre chitting or starting off in modules. 

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 16:03:58 »
Eristic re your advice would you then say it would be to our advantage to allow one or two plants to flower so as to collect the seed for sowing the next year?

I'm going to attempt parsnips for the first time this year. do you know if they self sow, cause if they do i might grow a few in my herb patch and allow them to colonise a small area so as to collect fresh seed every year.

does this sound plausible, cause I'm not sure if I'm making sense :-\.

littlebabybird

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 17:26:49 »
there are of course also seed  shops who sell fresh seed.

real seeds is one.
http://www.realseeds.co.uk/

thifasmom  i know you werent asking me but i would keep my own seeds
do have a look at real seeds the have seed saving info as well

lbb

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 17:32:48 »
Sowed most of mine straight into the ground around the end of March last year with mixed results.  Those that germinated grew beautifully, but a lot did not germinate.  Might try sowing a bit later this year.
Keep Calm and Carry On

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 17:35:55 »
Last year I chitted them on kitchen towel then sowed them 3 to a loo tube.  Removed the weaker seedlings and planted the tube and all when big enough.  Had the best crop yet.
The Tuscan Beaneater

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 17:39:14 »
pre chitted like asbean, popped straight in the ground, every one grew  ;D

glosterwomble

• Hectare
  • Gloucester - The South West
    • Fork it...a Gloucester allotment
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 17:47:45 »
Last year I chitted my parsnip seed in a tupperware box on top of the radiator and had FANTASTIC results, best ever huge parsnips  ;D  The previous year I did badly having just sown seed in the ground so I know which method I will use again. Having said that I agree with Sarah's comment about having good and bad parsnip years, don't we find that with other crops too.

My blog has the entry about chitting parsnip seeds 2008 here ...  http://fork-in-hell.blogspot.com/2008/04/spring-has-sprung.html
View my blog on returning a totally
 overgrown plot in Gloucester
 into a productive allotment ... http://fork-in-hell.blogspot.com/

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2009, 17:54:03 »
I always seem to do well with my nips, a lot of people sow them too early when the soil is too cold, I do mine first weekend in April, I make a drill with a long piece of wood and sow straight in the ground and cover with a dark compost and water, the dark compost stands out against the soil so I have no need to mark the line.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2009, 17:58:11 »
glosterwomble, just read your link about chitting parsnips and read about your wallpaper in the shed from seed packets.  I think you could be on to a good idea if seed packets were made into a proper wallpaper, then seed addicts could have it in their bedrooms and go to sleep happy, dreaming of all those seeds.  Could do veg and flowers in coordinated colours, and perhaps matching fabric for curtains, duvets etc.  I think you are on to a winner, or perhaps just different varieites of say tomatoes, squashes, or perhaps it has already been done!!!!

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2009, 18:13:20 »
Last year I chitted them on kitchen towel then sowed them 3 to a loo tube.  Removed the weaker seedlings and planted the tube and all when big enough.  Had the best crop yet.

Me too! Sown mid feb like this.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2009, 18:20:22 »
very similar to cornykev, here's mine in early may
[attachment=1]
 ;)
direct sow into a very firm drill, pressed in with a broom handle, water the drill (only) with a seaweed solution, sow thinly, cover and firm in. what's the problem?
You couldn't make it up!

glosterwomble

• Hectare
  • Gloucester - The South West
    • Fork it...a Gloucester allotment
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2009, 18:56:49 »
glosterwomble, just read your link about chitting parsnips and read about your wallpaper in the shed from seed packets.  I think you could be on to a good idea if seed packets were made into a proper wallpaper, then seed addicts could have it in their bedrooms and go to sleep happy, dreaming of all those seeds.  Could do veg and flowers in coordinated colours, and perhaps matching fabric for curtains, duvets etc.  I think you are on to a winner, or perhaps just different varieites of say tomatoes, squashes, or perhaps it has already been done!!!!

WOW!! Yes, I'm going to go and patent that idea right now!!  ;D ;)
View my blog on returning a totally
 overgrown plot in Gloucester
 into a productive allotment ... http://fork-in-hell.blogspot.com/

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2009, 19:26:38 »
It's certainly been done with Veg/fruit tableclothes at Dunelms...  ;D

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2009, 19:37:05 »
Loo rolls in heated propagator for me, then into offcuts of soil pipe about a foot long, filled with compost; did em I think in early May last year. Cleanest and most consistent crop I've had yet.
Will do them earlier this year, maybe late Feb.

I've previously had very erratic germination, even with fresh seed - maybe too early/soil too cold. Problem was, the later, better sowings were too late to get to any real size (I'm on clay, pretty slow to warm up).
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2009, 20:32:24 »
there are of course also seed shops who sell fresh seed.

real seeds is one.
http://www.realseeds.co.uk/

thifasmom  i know you werent asking me but i would keep my own seeds
do have a look at real seeds the have seed saving info as well

lbb

thanks LLB so saving my own seed is the way to go to acquire for sure fresh seed.

does anyone know if they do selfseed ???

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2009, 20:49:50 »
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v401/richardkinson/?action=view&current=5474f590.jpg

Hope this works and you can see pic.  I too never seem to have trouble with parsnips think the secret is as corny says do not sow to early.
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

terrier

• Acre
  • North Wales
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2009, 22:27:24 »
From reading the posts, it seems that parsnips like a bit of warmth. Would it be beneficial to sow under clotches? I've not grown them before and decided to have a go this year.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2009, 23:08:08 »
Parsnip seed is fertile Thifasmom, but being umbelliferas they can be pollinated by other parsnips in the area. The trick is to choose good examples to save the seed from. "The Student" was i think the first "selection" in Victorian times from the "wild" parsnip... avoid the very modern F1's like gladiator...
 :-\

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal