Author Topic: Seed trays/pots and growing from seed  (Read 2933 times)

samela

• Not So New ...
Seed trays/pots and growing from seed
« on: January 15, 2009, 09:21:32 »
Hi All,

I got my lottie in May last year so missed the whole planting from seed thing.  Most of what I grew last year were plants given to me by my lovely lottie neighbours.  This year I really want to give it a try but have no idea what equipment I need.  Everytime I go in the garden centre, I come out baffled by all the different types of seed trays, pots, compost etc. Do I go go for heated or just basic trays? I really have no idea.... help!!!???  I have got a small 6 x 4 plastic greenhouse/polytunnel thing that I need to put up still so I'm quite limited for space and cash is a bit of a problem too, as I'm sure it is for all of us!.  Help, help, help

Thanks everyone
Sam

pippy

• Acre
  • North Notts Allotments!
Re: Seed trays/pots and growing from seed
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 13:03:49 »
Most people are keen to recycle and use recycled pots and trays for seedlings.  You could ask friends to save pots and trays from bedding plants for you, or save plastic trays from bought items.  You really don't need to spend a fortune to start off - just use what you have.

Some seeds (beans, sweetcorn, squash for example) need deeper containers than others, but most things can be started in yoghurt pots, tins, the bottoms of milk containers etc.  It's even considered trendy by some!  You might just need to think out or purchase some sturdy trays to put the pots in and catch the drips.

Good luck starting off - it's really exciting to see your first lots of seeds coming up!
Leave only footprints, take only photographs ....

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac

samela

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 16:41:43 »
Thanks for the advice.  Having 2 young kids (5 and 1), I go through lot's of milk and yoghurt so always have plenty of empties to recycle. :) That website is fab for newbies who have no idea what they're doing, thanks Tee Gee.

SueK

• Half Acre
  • Pudsey, West Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 16:56:31 »
Hi there,
Further on the recycling front, can I recommend using old cardboard tubes - toilet rolls, kitchen roll, etc - for things like beans and sweetcorn?  These have the advantage that you can plant the whole thing out - I guess that this would work for a greenhouse border as well as outside - but need to be kept moist until you put them into their final position .  I even read somewhere about using them cut up into 3 for grpwomg "plug plants" of stuff like lettuce.  Last year, we planted runner beans and sweetcorn in these, and put them in a seed tray with a plastic cover on top.

We also acquired a stack of old plant pots from another gardener using Freecycle.  Mind you, I have yet to wash them all out..!

Best regards,
Sue

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 17:07:11 »
Mind you, I have yet to wash them all out..!

And do do!!!

Failing to do so might mean the intoduction of some pests and diseases.

Club root and white rot comes to mind, and if you are affected by these you are talking in terms of 7-10 years to get rid of it, always assuming you can get rid of it!!

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 22:22:56 »
Hear hear Tee Gee.  There are some gardening jobs that are essential, and washing pots/trays is one.

valmarg

grotbag

• Hectare
  • granddaughter(miya) in Christchurch,Dorset
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 22:09:15 »
done all me pots today

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 22:13:54 »

We also acquired a stack of old plant pots from another gardener using Freecycle.  Mind you, I have yet to wash them all out..!

When nobody is looking  ::) load them into the dishwasher on a cool wash, take them out (pronto) and dry them in your greenhouse or outside.  ;D
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

Peasticks

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2009, 22:35:19 »
I take the used vending machine cups out of the bins at work, brown coffee ones for sowing in and clear ones for 'lids'

I also called in to homebase the other day and they let me have some empty pots and trays for free

SueK

• Half Acre
  • Pudsey, West Yorkshire
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2009, 16:32:53 »
Hello TeeGee, Lauren and everyone,
I was thinking about posting a new topic on this but you have brought the subject up for me, so thankyou!

In the past, I have scalded old pots and seed trays with boiling water, but then I never had that many and everything had been in my own garden.  If I'm having to take extra special care when reusing pots from another source, should I be adding anything a bit "stronger", so to speak - I've even heard of adding Jeyes Fluid, but not sure whether that's the right thing or not.

Any reply appreciated, and apologies if I'm hijacking this thread - but I think it's relevant!

Best regards to all,
Sue

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2009, 16:56:36 »
should I be adding anything a bit "stronger", so to speak

I use a mixture of bleach and water, in fact this year I have used Domestos, didn't have any bleach at hand.

I used to use jeyes/armillatox but I found that these left an oily layer on the pots making them unpleasant  to handle, plus when handling the pots later in the season it left a 'tarry' smell on my hands.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2009, 16:20:41 »
TeeGee I have always used Jeyes but it is getting so expensive. What measure to water do you use the bleach please?

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2009, 17:47:44 »
What measure to water do you use the bleach please?

I'm not that scientific  ::)

A flick of the wrist into the kitchen sink then half fill the sink.

So I would guess around 50ml.

If I remember I will measure it the next time I am washing up

This washes around 100 pots depending upon how dirty they are!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal