Author Topic: Brother Label Maker  (Read 3363 times)

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
Brother Label Maker
« on: January 20, 2009, 22:33:20 »
Lidl have these label makers on offer from Thursday 29th January at £12.70.

I've had mine for two years now and wouldn't be without it. I only need to print labels for new veggie varieties as the ones I made two years ago are still good.

Tricia

Susiebelle

• Hectare
Re: Brother Label Maker
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 22:51:41 »
wot a bargain I purchased one last year cost a lot more, nearly broke the bank, but worth every penny, so at £12.70  a real bargain

Arumlily

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 10:14:35 »
Thanks for this information. Must remember to go and get one. Are the labels weather proof, I wonder?

Susiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 14:05:24 »
Yes they are Arumlily, the only thing is the replacement tapes are expensive, and when you do print they leave a very generous margin on either end of the word. I have spoken to the retailer about this and they agree but say nothing can be done. But I still think its good as the labels do carry from year to year.

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 22:28:53 »
If you read the instructions very carefully you will see that the margins at each end of the tape can be minimised. Unfortunately, I have today had to replace the batteries (after two years!) so I have to start from scratch with re-programming - I'll have to spend a bit of time perusing the instructions again first, my memory isn't what it was!

I bought replacement tapes on eBay at a good price at auction - a lot cheaper than from a store.

Tricia

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 08:01:02 »
A similar item to consider would be the "Dymo LetraTag LT-100H" which costs £15.99 in WHSmiths. If you are purchasing instore rather than through the website then you can almost always get printable £5 money off vouchers for Whsmiths from: http://whs.emreact.com/aem/clients/WHC001/vouchers/pdf/WHS0769FourVouchers.pdf which would bring the cost down to £10.99.
The replacement tapes cost £3.50-£5 each & it does pretty much the same job as the brother one although it only uses 12mm tapes (if you want 6mm or 9mm wide labels the dymo will not be suitable).
You can download the instruction manual for the dymo to check it is capable of doing what you want before you buy it from:
http://global.dymo.com/enGB/Manuals/LetraTag_LT-100H.html

jo9919

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 14:31:50 »
What are the labels like?

Are they sticky so that you attach them to plant markers or are they sturdy enough to be used as plant markers themselves?

Thanks,
Jo.

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 16:13:56 »
They are self-adhesive and stick well to normal plastic or wooden plant labels.

Tricia

jo9919

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009, 17:20:25 »
They are self-adhesive and stick well to normal plastic or wooden plant labels.

Tricia

Thanks Tricia  :)

Jo.

Susiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2009, 09:37:52 »
I have found plastic best with wooden labels the tape has started to peel I am assuming the wood absorbs moisture and thats no good for the sticky tape so I will only be using plastic in future.
Tricia I did try to minimise per instructions but didn't seem to work, when you'v mastered it perhaps you could share the secret.

jo9919

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2009, 19:13:15 »
Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I got myself to Lidl's and treated myself  :)

Susie, there are three margin options. There is full, half and narrow. Full will leave 25mm at each side of the text. The other two options leave either 12mm or 4mm at each side, however, on the left hand side it leaves a larger margin with dots printed at the required cutting point i.e. the left hand side will always leave 25mm.

If you would like me to scan the instructions for the tape margin pm me your email addy and I will send.

Jo.

Susiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2009, 10:13:20 »
Thanks Jo, I will have a good look again today and if I still can't master will get back to you.
Susan

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal