Author Topic: Red Baron, no bolting and large bulbs please!  (Read 1143 times)

jonny211

• Acre
Red Baron, no bolting and large bulbs please!
« on: January 21, 2009, 07:59:43 »
Hiya all,

I've got my Red Baron sets and have been advised to start them in the ground asap, I'm thinking of doing this next week under fleece. Last year I planted in march and had a mix of bolters and tiny bulbs so got nothing off the whole lot, so am hoping to get a head start this year.

The ground was manured last year for spuds so I was just going to apply blood, fish & bone at planting time.

Is anyone else starting theirs off yet or have any tips?

Cheers.

Jon

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Red Baron, no bolting and large bulbs please!
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 08:49:46 »
I'm sure there was a thread on here not long ago, I think they said it was better to plant later for reds so they didn't bolt  :)

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 10:41:31 »
Red Baron's are well known for bolting early if they do not get optimal growing conditions. I put my red onions in either in October, to get established before winter hits, or in March when hopefully the ground has warmed up a bit!

I don't have any experience in growing onions under fleece, I guess you could try covering the ground with polythene to warm it first for a couple of weeks and then plant and fleece. They should enjoy the manure from last years potatoes, I also use chicken manure pellets in Spring to give them a boost. Or you could plant under cover, in a cold frame or polytunnel. Personally, I'm waiting until March to put my next batch in! ;)
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 14:42:40 »
Delay planting red baron 'til after the equinox!!( see my image in other post "stringed onions") these are keeping well, out of 100 sets, only had 2 bolt last year! ;)
You couldn't make it up!

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 15:17:22 »
Last year I put in my Red Baron sets in April,. None bolted.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 18:21:55 »
As all ready said Jonny its too early for onions, my yellows go in mid March and reds in early April, its worth trying out a few under fleece and others later so you can compare at the end of the growing season.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal