Author Topic: Whats in a pot?  (Read 1679 times)

Inky

• Quarter Acre
Whats in a pot?
« on: January 19, 2009, 13:06:14 »
Okay now the dumb questions start!
I notice that different places sell fruit shrubs and trees in different sizes pots, from 1ltr, 1.5ltr and 3ltr normally Now I just wanted to clarify, in the smaller pots I assume the plants ar esmaller, does this also mean they are younger, so will be more years before they fruit? Like some places I can buy blueberries in 3ltr pots, or for a cheaper price I can get 3 plants in 1ltr pots. so although my eventual yealt would be higher for the 3 plants, I will have to wait longer for them, to mature and bear fruit?

Also what is a 1 year maiden tree?

Inky

• Quarter Acre
Re: Whats in a pot?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 15:59:37 »
anyone?

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 16:09:37 »
sorry, inky, not ignoring you, just don't know the answers  ;D
we've bought 'sticks in bags' from wilkies, lidl etc and got a good harvest after a couple of years  :)

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 16:27:36 »

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 16:28:30 »
a maiden is a one year old fruit tree. Smaller is cheaper and you can prune it to what you want. Also may establish faster. Bigger in theory is faster to fruit but may take longer to bed in.

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 17:40:19 »
Regarding pot size, size is not everything. I'm sure you've heard that before. In theory a bigger plant will be potted in the larger pot but common sense is nowadays overruled by pure greed of the suppliers. IE a larger pot equates to a larger charge and is often the small plant repotted into a big pot just to support the larger price tag. Buyer beware.

It has to be a judgement call by the buyer on the spot. If the plants look reasonably similar in size buy the cheaper plants but the larger plant may save you a year of growing time.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 18:16:11 »
Regarding pot size, size is not everything. I'm sure you've heard that before. In theory a bigger plant will be potted in the larger pot but common sense is nowadays overruled by pure greed of the suppliers. IE a larger pot equates to a larger charge and is often the small plant repotted into a big pot just to support the larger price tag. Buyer beware
Is that a slight touch of cynicism there, Eristic?? ;)  ;D ;D ;D
You couldn't make it up!

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 19:08:26 »
Many of the potted trees and shrubs have not been growing in these pots for more than a few weeks. They are often bare rooted trees or shrubs that have been potted up to look better in Garden centres.
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 21:19:37 »
Is that a slight touch of cynicism there, Eristic??

Maybee.  8)

Inky

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2009, 16:14:17 »
Thank you for your replys, unfortunatyl I dont have the advantage of going and seeing them. The places Im looking at are Blackmoore, who seem to come up one of the cheapest and Im ordering the bulk of my stuff through. They have the 3ltr options and then Thompson Morgan who Im using more for seeds and they do the smaller pot sizes.

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2009, 18:23:43 »
Is that Blackmoore Essex?
If so i'm not to far and could have a look for you.

I got most of my trees from lidl @ £3.? and some of ebay for £7, but the ones in b&q and homebase are much better @ £9.99, they are bigger and thicker trunks and a good selection all in pots. I would say they were between 2-3yrs old and i wished i had seen them in there first and paid the extra. If you know any oap's then you can get a 10% discount on some days.

Neil

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal